Needing a little help

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Lydia, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Lydia

Lydia Guest

Hello everyone, I'm sort of new to this thing, This is my story:
    Wednesday's Local paper had "2 FREE SKI BOATS IF YO U CAN HAUL AWAY"
    so me being an all time fisherwoman, I find a way to get one of the boats, its has no trailer of course, The older man didn't know anything about it being it was his grandsons boat... I haven't the slightest idea on what I should do first, besides a wash? is Dawn soap best to wash it?
    if I posted this picture could anyone tell me what year or model or whatever it MIGHT be?

http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/...;20Progress/?action=view&current=SDC10059.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Lydia

2. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Wish I could help, but I dont have a clue what it is !:roll_eyes:

3. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    The first thing I would do is make sure it doesnt have any leaks and that it floats. It looks pretty rough, and I didnt see a motor. By the time you power it and put a trailer under it you might be better off cost wise to buy a uesd boat in better shape. If you wanna see if it has any leaks, you can stick a garden hose in it and see if water is leaking from anywhere. Not a great idea to soak the inside of a boat but that one looks like it's been sitting outside for a while.

Another thing you wanna have checked out are the stringers in it. They should be the wooden frame and if they are rotten or cracked that can become an expensive fix quick.

4. Bait Bandit

Bait Bandit New Member

State:
    West Georg
    First welcome to the BOC. The boat, Well Pappy always told me nothing is free it will end up costing you 3x as much in the long run. Times are tough and people are haveing to dump there toys left and right, my advice is take the money you would dump into this boat and shop the sale section on here or watch craigslist, from what I have seen the last few weeks you can find one water ready for under 1 k.

5. Lydia

Lydia Guest

:smile2: Thanks everyone. Yes It doesn't have a motor or trailer..I had a man from a marina around here come check it out. They jacked it up and hung it under my carport, it doesn''t leak anywhere, they were out there 3 hours checking every nick n cranny.. It has been sitting under a carport for 2 months, Grandson didn't like it after he bought it and fixed it up due to the fact it was 'Outdated'.. The Older man tested it out 1 week before I got it, but he sold the motor, then decided to give away the boats. As far as anything wrong with the 'stringers' I have no clue what that is, it's a fiberglass aluminum boat, are 'stringers' the floor? It needs to be replaced, I guess need to know the best wood, I already have a Huge roll of carpet :smile2:, I'm in no hurry of course, I haven't a way to haul it yet my next shopping spree will be a truck, I'm just wanting a project to do for myself over the next year or so...

6. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    just be carful how much it needs cause you can find a good used boat at a good price you just have to keep looking and asking:wink:

7. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If you hit the top of it with some bleach,, all that nasty stuff will be gone.

8. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    welcome to the b.o.c. and congrats on the free boat . you could probably find out alot if you use the hull number and contact dnr .

9. jrack1

jrack1 New Member

State:
    mo.
    it look like an old SEAark.

10. jrack1

jrack1 New Member

State:
    mo.
    run the numbers by the motor vehicle registry it should be on file.

11. jrack1

jrack1 New Member

State:
    mo.
    ga.gov For more information call the Boat Registration Office at (800) 366-2661.

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Did you get a tittle with it? If not, and your fairly young, you may get one within your lifetime. LOL. They are a bear to get. I'd follow the advide of others and use your GA registration number to mind out about the make, model and year. Sometimes a labor of love is worth whatever expense occurs.

13. If you got the time to let it sit around, just pick away at it for a while, and buy used stuff for it. That looks like a cool project boat to mess around with when you get bored or rained in.

14. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    lol then when you get get done with it you could of bought a new boat:smile2:Sorry John i had to post that :smile2: