Needin help

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by Tubby Catfishin, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Im new to the boc and was lookin for some different imformation on catchin gars! I was standin next to the river the other day and i watched a nice 3 or 3&1/2' gar swimmin just under the surface! Whats a good technique or bait to catch them?? ne help would b in appreciation. thnx

2. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Try a some nylon rope that is frayed out with some cut bait!!

3. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    BTW Welcome to the BOC!!! From Alabama!!!!

4. headbanginhillbilly

headbanginhillbilly New Member

State:
    holden,missouri
    When we see gar on top sunnin themselves we throw a shiny spoon. We can usually get some of them to chase. good luck!

5. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC.Why do you want to catch gar.except to kill them.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Why do you want to kill them? They do little to the fishermen except take bait, bit deal.

7. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    the frayed out piece of nylon cord or small rope is the best i have seen. when they grab it they cant turn it loose because of the angle of thier teeth. you don't need a hook this way and it is fun to watch them take it.

8. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    catching gar is a blast! i don't know why people think by killing them they are doing something good. hell you copuld kill a hundred a day for a year and not even put a dent in the population. these things have been around since the dinosaurs and are still doing well. quit killing them!

9. catmanjake

catmanjake New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    thats the same with bowfin/mudfish. they have doe nothing to anyone. but alot of fisherman killl them. its stupid.the have been on earth for 100,000,000 years and they do nothing bad to the lakes. they help the lake if anything. keeping the sunfish population in balance.

10. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    That rope idea sounds like a good one...never heard of it 'til now. Anyway, gar will eat anything...and I mean ANYTHING. I've got ahold of 'em fishin' for white bass in the river before off of tubes...had 'em stealing my shad, just anything that looks or smells edible they'll eat. Good luck on the fishin'.

-Red

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    all be dang, frank. this gentelman is the reason im here. got some hooks from ya back in 04 on ebay and ya mentioned the b.o.c. good to see ya still around. i just caught one of these old things. need help in another thread on cleaning them.

12. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Yeah, Um the rope idea is good i too some garlic chartreuse dye and dyed the end, they went wild it was fun, I wade fish em for and just let it float past the shallows and the come out kinda like planking for muskies..Haven quite gotten taken em off down, Kinda hard i use a stick and like stick int he mouth and some leather gloves to pull it out.

13. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    to catch a garGet old cane poll get some electric wire about the size of weed eater string the small. Put about 2.5ft. wire on small end of cane pole. Put real small loop in the end of wire. Makeabout a 6 or8in loop on the end of the wire. Now slip it over the gars head without toutching go back behindd his gills about3in pull real fast watchout you will have a hand full. pretty fun. thanks Sam Davis