Need your thoughts

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jerseycat9, Jul 17, 2006.

1. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I was fishing a pond yesterday 30 acres that ive fished regularly for 5 or more years now and only caught bullheads yesterday I hook into the biggest fish ive ever hooked there 10 minutes on six pound test and 5foot UL pole it was a 8 and a half pound channel cat my surprise I come home check our states stocking schedule and find out that lake nor any lake or stream in that area has ever been stocked with channels now what im asking is ideas on how he got there and could there be more im goin tonight with some chivers if there is more i figure its my best chance to find out. Chivers are a good universal channel bait ya know

2. live22skate

live22skate New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i think the only way they could of got in there is if someone stocked the pond themselves.

3. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I agree some one must have stocked it. Have a great time!!!

4. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    He was definately an old fish his fins were pretty worn but other than that he looked healthy thanks for the reply

5. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    what is a chiver?

6. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I agree with the above, If there is more they are probably naturaly reproducing... I'd try to catch em...good luck.

7. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    And I'm guessing a "chiver" is a chicken liver? :smile2:

8. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Reproduction only takes place in two lakes in jersey out of a thousand reproduction is doubtful at best plus this lake was dry for 6 years till the community fund raised enough money to fill it

9. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Chivers are chicken livers correct you win a rep

10. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    hmm only 8 pounds... around here that fish is maybe 3 or 4 years old. esp in a pond that big, all kinds of food and dont have to worry about too many ppl catching it... 30 arces is a nice lake... i would say somebody was thinking about stocking that pond for personal fishing... just my guess... i would say if they are in there use nightcrawlers and livers... good luck... btw what was u fishing for when u caught it? and using what? how often do u fish it, is it easy access?

11. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I was using worms for bullheads and fish it once a week do ya think he could be the only one

12. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Hey Terry, congrats on that channel! Somebody must of put it there. LOL
    After I got off the phone with you today I hooked in to a real nice channel while out with Big G.

13. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would guess that somebody placed it there,probably caught it and didn't want too clean it so they took it there. Some folks have an aversion to catfish,only like Bass or Crappie,so that would be my opinion. Thanks for sharing! pk powell:smile2:

14. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Hey guys wnt back out tonight armed with chivers and danny kings one really good hit on liver but was occupied when it happened never even got a feel for how big gonna focus again for channels tomorrow night if nothing I call it quits for channels in that lake till I see more evidence

15. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I'd say that someone either ot it there or a bird was carrying it and droped it. Seen that happen before. How far away is the nearest river or lake with known channels? Did you keep it or release it?

16. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    birds stock ponds better than we do i bet it was a bird also

17. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    the nearest river with channels is about 5 miles away I guess it could be possible

18. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Alright guys its a possibility that someone privately stocked this pond tonight had two nice hits on chicken liver got a feel for one of the fish seems bigger than a bullhead had a really good rain tonight after the slight flood do you think my best chance would be at the entering creek mouth or exiting creek

19. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    entering id say , try some bull heads small ones with fins cut off but live and bleeding and 6 to 8/0 hooks id bet channels are feeding on them ,imo the best bait is in the waters where you fish ,fish eat fish . good luck

20. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    There aint no more channel catfish in that lake just one Im positive now used liver, stinkbait, bluegill,and cut shiner = 1 bullhead. 4 dozen crawlers =2 dozen bullheads go figure