Need your thoughts......(fishing)

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by cherokee laker, Jul 11, 2006.

1. cherokee laker

cherokee laker New Member

State:
    georgia
    Here's the scenario.............I live on a 90 acre man made lake in southeast GA.
    The lake was built in 1964, by damming up a deep cut just off of the Altamaha River.

At it's deepest crevice it is 43 ft deep...........tapering from an average of 12ft.

I put 1000 fingerlings in holding pen in 1998, to get acclamated and released them at about 9 inches in lenth.
    I have not nor has anybody I know of caught a cat out of this lake, except an occasional creek cat.

The water is extremely clear.(you can see the bottom at 6 foot depths)
    and lots of the residents feed the many bream, shellcrackers and warmouth.

It is abundant with sunperch, bass, and the others I mentioned.

I have tried live bait at the deepest end, stinkbait, nightfishing, dayfshing, jugfishing, bottomfishing, cork fishing...............
    everything but a grenade or dynamite

I can't help but believe that as old as this body of water is......there is bound to be a big cat in it.........

Anybody got any ideas??????

cherokee laker

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Chicken Liver and Night Crawlers, 2 staples that work usually in a Lake. I am sure they are there, just got to find em. Good luck trying to hunt them down.

3. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Well, it sounds like you have "run/covered the bases" with the different methods and times that you have fished. Although, you only mentioned (if I recall correctly) using stinkbait. But, I am just guessing that you have tried other baits as well.

If not, Tea's suggestion is a good one. But, I would also recommend using a small blue gill about 3 or 4 feet below a float.

Now, something else I might suggest, just to find out if any of those fish are still there (since you said you lived on the lake). Is, to start a regular feeding program (if it is allowed). Get some of the catfish feed and throw it from your dock or bank at your residence and see if after a period of continuous feeding (a week or two) if cats start swarming the area once you start feeding at a "set time" each day. Then you will know for sure.

4. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Good advice there...
    You could also find that spot on the lake that seems most likely and start chumming it.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I agree with Mike, start a feeding program, or try chuming a area before fishing it.

The only other thing I can come up with for locating them is to get a crawdad imitation crankbait and start casting it. If there are channel cats there , they will hit that bait. I have caught dozens of channels on this crankbait.

6. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Maybe borrow a underwater camera or dive and have a good lookalso estimate there size and use the most abundant nateural bait in the lake size the bait so they can eat it.

7. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well if you havent got any action in the deep end you might wanna try the shallows at night..and yea tea had it right try some nightcrawlers or chicken livers. or if you got to you can always stock the lake all over again...

8. youngcatfisherman55

youngcatfisherman55 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The only advice I got is since it is so clear is to always use clear line while fishing in it. Catfish have great sight and if they see the line, theres a good chance it wont bite. Hope this helps.

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Two questions; what kind of fingerlings were they and what do you call a "creek cat??" For most people it is a brown or yellow bullhead.

Out of 1,000 fish released you probably had 100 survive to maturity. A stocking of 1,000 fish in a 90 acre lake is an extremely low stocking rate if you are expecting to have a fishable population. In most man made ponds there is not sufficient structure to provide a good breeding ground, so underwater structure must be added in many cases.

10. cherokee laker

State:
    georgia
    I have not tried the chicken livers, or night crawlers..........that will be my next step............thanks

I just got an aqua view...........I'll be looking while I'm fishin.........

The previous owners told me that the lake had been stocked several times over the past 30 years..........following up an original stocking by the State.

It has lots of natural cover all over, when it was origainally damned up, very few trees were removed from the ravine.

The cat I'm talking about is a small black looking cat.......(down here we call them creek cats).

I have just started back feeding the bream at my dock daily, but have not seen any catfish activity:confused2: :confused2:

Keep 'em coming I'll eventually try them all..............what's that old saying. "even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."

I'm gonna try jugging again with every bait in my arsenal.

Thanks for the help guys

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I tried somthing last night because I could not find any shad and that was large minnows as cut bait. I used them just like cut shad. I tried butterfly cuts, cutting off the tails, live and section cuts. The section cuts worked the best gut pocket then head. Just an idea you may consider. I also had cut gill and live out with no luck.

12. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Maybe you could just trade us houses. I'll try to suffer it out down there. You will just Love Ohio winters.:big_smile:

13. terrycook3

terrycook3 New Member

State:
    minnsota
    no son its great smell-catfish are practially blind lol !@

14. buzz crackstock

buzz crackstock New Member

State:
    Springfield, IL
    You could also try a couple dock lines baited with hot dog. We use to do this as kids at the lake lot. Just tie a couple lines to the dock and tie on a hook. Just keep baiting them up and eventually you will catch a cat. We use to use braided twine and tie a 1/0 hook onto it, no swivel. Just enough line to completely submerge the hook. We would then put a chunk of hotdog on and go back up to the fire. When a cat would get hooked he was close enough to the surface you would hear him spashing. We actually caught more cats this way than actually fishing for them sometimes. The cheaper the hotdogs the better, or maybe that's what we thought cause that's all we could afford!

15. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    a lot of lake up by me were stocked with many cats and the state came to find out that when these impuondments flooded that a lot of the cats left the pond and lakes in search of better habitat over the Damns spillways and anyother means of getting out

16. youngcatfisherman55

youngcatfisherman55 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The catfish book I got sucks then....:embarassed:

17. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Cherokee, You might also try soured cottonseed meal in a burlap bag. I fish the Altamaha also, my first trip was nearly 48 years ago now. I was born in Jesup, and now live in Waycross. I am a new member, and thought I would say hello. Good luck, and take real good care. Georgiajack. :big_smile:

18. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have seen this happen too. Had a pond we used to fish often flood through to the Canadian River in OK. All the bass and catfish left. All that was left was bullhead, bluegill, and carp.

19. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    You might try a burlap bag of soured cotton seed meal. It is usually a pretty good cat attractor. I also fish the Altamaha, and was born in Jesup. Live in Waycross now. Take real good care, Jack. :smile2:

20. cherokee laker

State:
    georgia
    The only problem with the leaving scenario is that there are two spillways, 4' in diameter with vertical downspouts and both of them are caged.
    A small bluegill can't even get over the edge and down the drain???