Need your opinion please

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by sparky806, Aug 10, 2008.

1. sparky806

sparky806 New Member

State:
    Shawnee Kansas
    I'm thinking about pulling the motor and jet drive out of an old waverunner i have sitting around and trying to put it in an old johnboat. Will it work? will it not work? Any ideas or suggestions? It's 650cc, is that enough to push a 16 foot boat up the river?

2. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I have been having that same idea for a while now. I think it would work. It will take some good fabrication skills,but I think it's worth trying. I have a jon boat,no motor. My buddy has a wrecked jet ski. Just gotta figure a plan. If you do it,post some pics.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Sure!

The question is do you have the money to do it right?

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    A jon with handlebars!!! Cool beans!:smile2:

5. sparky806

sparky806 New Member

State:
    Shawnee Kansas
    thats a good question. I'll let you know if I'm broke or not when it's done.

6. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes it can be done! Depending our on your fabrication skills will determine the cost and sucess. I've seen it done many times around here and have done a 2 myself. As for the 650 on a 16 footer it depends on the amount of wieght you are going to carry. there are a couple or 12 footers here with 650 in them and they cruise.

7. sparky806

sparky806 New Member

State:
    Shawnee Kansas
    Thanks Chris. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures would you?

8. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have sold the ones I did. I am now tinkering with small block chevys with berkeley jet pumps. I might be able to get a picture of a friends. I'll see what I can do. Alos I forgot to mention the only down side to the set up you want is if you suck something up in to the impellor it will be hard to clean it out on the water,and a clogged pump means poor performance back to the boat ramp, probably will not get on plane. Just a little FYI

9. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Seen a couple on YouTube before. Looked pretty cool. Post some pics if you do it.

10. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
  11. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    thats nice

12. sparky806

sparky806 New Member

State:
    Shawnee Kansas
    Thanks Todd. Got some great ideas from that. Gonna tear the waverunner apart this weekend.

13. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That is one sweet homemade boat. That guys has some mad fabrication skills not to mention a lot of money in that diamond plate.

14. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri