Need your help!!

Discussion in 'The BOC's Animal House' started by littleman, May 16, 2009.

1. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Doc I need your help!
    I have a lot of experience rehabbing mammals, but I'm clueless about birds. When someone brings me birds I have always past them off to another lady who specializes in birds. Unfortunately she is in the hospital and the next closes rehaber is two hours away and I haven't been able to get a hold of her.
    My problem is, yesterday one of the neighborhood kids brought me a small chick. I think its a starling, its kind of hard to tell it has just started getting its feathers. We had a bad storm and its nest was blown out of the tree. Its 3 nest mates had already died, and the poor thing was covered in ants. While i was getting the ants off i noticed something very strange. One side of the chick is completely swelled. The swelling seams to be air trapped under the skin, kind of like a huge air blister. The chick seems to be doing fine except for that. My question is, what is it and what should I do for it? Has it damaged a lung, and air is trapping under the skin? Or is it a birth defect, or infection?

http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w334/waznormal/Picture047.jpg

2. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have no idea Littleman. Sorry.

3. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I do! Bloated like that it'd probably float! Put a hook in it and let it float around the docks in paris lake! LOL, sorry Trish Just joking. Unfortuneately your little friend does'nt look too well. I hope your motherly instincts are enough to help.

4. Herogre

Herogre New Member

State:
    Illinois
    She has the bird out fishing with her right now.I think she took one of her new boats to Charleston or Shelbyville. She has hand warmer packs that you heat up in the microwave.They keep the bird and its food warm while she's fishing.I have seen her take all kinds of different animals along with her.She doesn't have much choice they have to be fed every 1-2 hours.

5. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Update:
    I went ahead and took a needle and deflated it. I think it made the little guy more comfortable. I'm still not sure what it is. Only air came out when I inserted the needle, no puss or any type of fluid. So I'm thinking maybe it is some sort of respiratory injury. But yet it breaths just fine, no gasping, or restricted breathing of any kind.:confused2: