Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I am going to explain my rig from hook to reel, and then I will tell you the problem I am having.

Rig: 5/0 Kahle hook, palomar knot, 20# big game mono, palomar knot, big barrel swivel, to 50#power pro. I use a 12" mono leader. My thinking behind that is if I get snagged, I will lose the hook and not the whole rig.

Problem: There was three times this morning that I had a fish take off on a good long run, I engaged the reel, set the hook and felt the fish and then nothing. The mono kept snapping right below/above the knot on the hook and/or barrel swivel. Is the difference in strength between the two lines combined with my hook set and the weight of the fish just to much for the mono? Should I go to a 30# or even a 40# leader? The first time it happened I chalked it up to me setting the hook to hard, but the next to times I set the hook lighter and just applied more pressure, but still....snap! I lost what I think was three big fish, I need to get this worked out. Thanks for the help!​

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Unless your 20 lb leader material is very old and not anywhere near 20lb test anymore it should be fine, I'll bet that when you pull your knot tight you are overstressing the line, are you wetting the knot before sliding it tight? Also remember you don't need a monster hookset when using braid, it doesn't stretch so it is direct contact, the short leader will be the only stree point where the line strecthes,and a foot of line isn't going to stretch very far before it snaps at it's weakest point. most likely a combo of all three things working against you,the last time I had a problem like that it turned out to be the leader line spool I was using was old and the 20 lb line was closer to 4 or 5 lb test. I would go buy yourself a small spool of quality 20 or 30 lb test the freshest you can find and see if that solves the problem, wet the knot with spit before pulling it tight and don't pull so hard you stretch and stress the line, then post some big fish pics for us,lol. one other thing is when choosing leader line I like the stiffer line with a high impact resistance, stren high impact is pretty good.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Go to a heavier leader. You've basically built this rig to break at the hook under pressure to save the rest of the rig, right? My personal preference is to build a rig to hang the biggest fish in the water I'm fishing. The last thing (in my opinion) you want to do is purposely make ANY part of your rig weak on purpose. Buying swivels is much less aggravating to me than wondering how big a fish that I lost was :winky:

Bigger fish are going to pop a foot of 20# mono easily. With only a foot of the mono you have very little stretch. Stretch is one of the things that makes folks able to land big fish on relatively light mono line.

You don't need to go nuts but your idea of going to a 40 pound (or maybe a bit bigger) leader sounds like the right direction to me.

Good luck!

Branden

·
Registered
343 Posts
Knots are the weakest point in most rigs, so, 2 knots in 20# line is too weak. Use heavier leader line and like Don said - wet your line before pulling knots tight. Also use sinker-slides to reduce abrasion from weights.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
just for something to type here a description of the difference on setting the hook with braid and mono.

MONO- lots of line out and that means lots of stretch, reel down on the fish and "feel" it there then rear back in a big sweeping hookset to overcome the stretch and still have the power to bury the hook. If I am fishing say under 50 yards one good hookset will do, if I have alot of mono out I will often set the hook,reel down again and set the hook a second and sometimes third time. with the mono the more line out the less force at the hook so getting the hook buried deep is numero uno!

BRAID- No stretch here so it doesn't matter how much line you have out, bite, reel down on the fish,feel the fish on the bait, then give a short snap to set the hook, the only thing thats going to flex and cushion the hookset is the rod, if the rod is a stiff one you can easily overpower your leader or even just rip the hook right out. The stiffer the rod the shorter the hookset needs to be. I use longer rods with some flex most of the time with braid to give me a little extra cushioning. A braid hookset for me is a short snap that might move the rod tip three foot. But it varies with the rod.

As a side note my heaviest flathead pole with broomstick action is my favorite trolling rod, if a fish hits the bait there's no give and the boats forward motion and the fish are all that is needed to set the hook. they get stuck every time on that rod it outfishes my normal trolling rods 4 to 1 easily, just not much fumn reeling in a 2 or 3 lb walleye on a super heavy catfish rod and line heavy enough to rip its face off.

·
Registered
154 Posts
hey bass man i use a similar rig.i use 6 and 8/0 circle hooks from team catfish then 40 or 50 pound big game mono then a swivel then a bump stop and sinker slide 2oz to what ever oz and 65 lb power pro.and my mono is 20 inchs long and like don said just reel down and half of a set and im reeling in a fish. hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
First I am going to explain my rig from hook to reel, and then I will tell you the problem I am having.

Rig: 5/0 Kahle hook, palomar knot, 20# big game mono, palomar knot, big barrel swivel, to 50#power pro. I use a 12" mono leader. My thinking behind that is if I get snagged, I will lose the hook and not the whole rig.

Problem: There was three times this morning that I had a fish take off on a good long run, I engaged the reel, set the hook and felt the fish and then nothing. The mono kept snapping right below/above the knot on the hook and/or barrel swivel. Is the difference in strength between the two lines combined with my hook set and the weight of the fish just to much for the mono? Should I go to a 30# or even a 40# leader? The first time it happened I chalked it up to me setting the hook to hard, but the next to times I set the hook lighter and just applied more pressure, but still....snap! I lost what I think was three big fish, I need to get this worked out. Thanks for the help!
HEY NE BASS MAN!! Welcome to the USCA!! To help you out, I would go with a heavier leader for sure. Especially if it's snapping on you after the hookset. Your leader length is fine, especially if you're fishing heavy current in a canal or river. Just wondering? Are you going for WIPERS or CATFISH!! Sounds like WIPERS when you're saying quote: "good long runs". Keep the drag fairly loose, use fresh line and good knots, test them when tightening them.

Not saying Catfish make good long runs, but Wiper are notorious for snapping line when hitting the bait and even during the hooksets. Been there and done that. I've had them snap 20# line like it was nothing, if the drag is too tight!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HEY NE BASS MAN!! Welcome to the USCA!! To help you out, I would go with a heavier leader for sure. Especially if it's snapping on you after the hookset. Your leader length is fine, especially if you're fishing heavy current in a canal or river. Just wondering? Are you going for WIPERS or CATFISH!! Sounds like WIPERS when you're saying quote: "good long runs". Keep the drag fairly loose, use fresh line and good knots, test them when tightening them.

Not saying Catfish make good long runs, but Wiper are notorious for snapping line when hitting the bait and even during the hooksets. Been there and done that. I've had them snap 20# line like it was nothing, if the drag is too tight!!
No wipers in this lake. What I am doing is throwing out my cat pole and throwing an ultra light around for panfish. I hear the clicker start going I run over grab the rod (clicker is still going) engage the reel and set the hook. I feel the fish for a second or two and then pop! I would say the runs are a good 10 yards or so, not very fast, but a steady run.

Lots of great info guys! I should be able to get it figured out. I think I'm going back out tonight and trying the same spot. I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
873 Posts
First thing I will say, don't buy your leader at Wal-Mart, they are junk. I buy 45 to 60 pound 18 inch leaders from my local Bass Pro. You may also look into making your own leaders. This way you can make them the length you want. Here is a link that I got from (yes the River Monster guy) Jeremy Wade. He makes all his own leaders. Melton Tackle Mini Double Copper Crimps from Melton International Tackle

Here is a copy of the email I sent him and his response.

Hello Joe

Thanks for your mail, and glad to hear you've been enjoying the show.

Yes, I prefer to make my own leaders as I wouldn't trust 100% something made by somebody else. Also I often don't know what length, strength, hook size and hook arrangement I need before I actually arrive somewhere, and it wouldn't be possible to get what I need off the peg.

So I normally carry wire in a range of strengths: 100lb, 120lb, 140lb being most common. 49-strand uncoated is more supple but it can kink with some fish, in which case I use coated 7-strand. An important detail is the crimps I use. These are the double-barrel type (rather than the simple cylindrical sleeves used by many anglers). You have to carry a special crimping tool for these but it makes a much stronger join. (Test them one against the other and you will see.) This stuff isn't very easy to find, but I think Melton Tackle has these crimps.

Melton Tackle Mini Double Copper Crimps from Melton International Tackle

... but you'd really also need in 0.9mm and 1.0mm size.

I also use crimps with fluorocarbon, tends to be better than knotting it.

I hope this is some help.

All best wishes

Jeremy

On 1 Apr 2010, at 18:46, Joe Hunt wrote:

I have watched every episode of your River Monsters. I must say I am very impressed and envious of the fish you catch and the places you get to go. In about every episode, I have seen you make your own steel leaders. I am curious as to where I can get the supplies you use for this and what material you would suggest using. I live in Nebraska,U.S.A and spend 90% of my time fishing for the biggest catfish I can catch. Anything over 20 pounds I release back into the water. The only leaders I can get around here are cheaply made store bought. They do not hold up very well. I know you are very busy in your research and education of large fish that are disappearing from our ecosystem at am alarming rate. Best of luck and success in your journeys. Thank you, Joe Hunt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.