Need Wateree help....

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by harper81, Feb 26, 2009.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Went up to the lake today mainly to stock up on some bait. Went to Wateree Creek and caught some nice gizzard shad by the bridge. Went out to the mouth of the creek to wet some lines and all I managed in 2 1/2 hours were 2 dinks. Any tips advice on what to look for on the fish finder or where to go would be appreciated. I am not monster hunting by any means, if I could catch some that are 3-10 lbs that would be fantastic. Do I just need to drift and hope to come across some?

2. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Let me rephrase...I am not looking for exact spots and not even near by....just wondering what I should be looking for. All this is new so any advice would help.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bill, maybe Mudkip will jump in here shortly and help you out. Rodger is the pro up that way.
    Look through the posts on the http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=138 . There are a few guys here that do pretty darn good up there, and I'm sure they can offer some tips, too.

4. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Bill,If you wanna do some anchor fishing,find you a good hump that is holding some fish or try on the old river channel ledges,if you wanna drift fish,you can drift just about any of the flats in 15 to 20 ft of water,you may not mark alot of fish right now in the flats,most are layed up on the botttom and the ones that are caught are covered with mud on thier sides.Dont limit yourself to just shad either,try different baits like bream,white perch,crappie,striper and also vary the sizes of the pieces of bait.If you are gonna drift,right now you need to keep your speed to just barely moving to around .4 mph.
    If ya cant fish the Tourney this weekend,you ought to try and come up to the weigh in and talk to some of the Guys,you can get yourself some good tips by just standing around and listening to the chatter and checking out various rigs and such.Most of Waterees best will be there,so it will be a great time to get you some info.:wink:

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Very good, Marty. Reps to you! :smile2:

6. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    The report in the Charlotte paper is accurate. We have been getting fish of all sizes drifting and anchoring in the middle sections of the lake. Typically where the striper bite is good the blue cat bite will be good. That is not to say you can't get a large fish in the river because some of the biggest fish come from there traditionally at this time of year but there is a heck of lot of catfish to be caught down lake on the flats. Current is the key. It is easy to get a stringer of nice eating cats drifting around 20 feet and the big uns are there too. "Eaters" will be from 3-7 pounds with some channels mixed in. If you are unfamiliar with the lake do not get discouraged, it simply takes a few trips to get some confidence built up. That is the difference maker--everybody will strike out once in a while.