Need tournament spot

Discussion in 'LOCAL WEST VIRGINIA TALK' started by TIM HAGAN, Mar 5, 2007.

1. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I am looking for some river / lakes in west virginia that I can hold some Catfish tournaments. this will need room for parking and have some catfish in it as well :lol: . If you have a place that would work send me a PM or Email.

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    We have the Kanawha River at various points.Also the Ohio River along the border.

The C&P boat ramp in downtown Charleston is on a very good spot of the river as is the one at Daniel Boone Park.Both are smack dab in the middle of some of the best flathead waters around.
    You also have the different locks and dams such as Winfield,Marmet (not far from the 2 boat ramps I suggested),and the London Locks.

The rest of the states rivers are not easily navigated by boat except jonboats and the like.

As for lakes the best ones IMO are Bluestone and Stonecoal for catfish.

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Thanks Jerry I am making a list and have gotten some pm's as well I will try and come up with 5 great spots that can handle a tournament and see if we can't get alot of BOC members out for the day and pick up some new members as well. All the input I can get will help out alot so thanks and keep it comes guys.

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Tim, I could not find any real good pictures of it, but Harris River Front Park at Huntington, WV would probably fit your needs.
    The Greenup Pool of the Ohio River, Plenty of parking, Nice boat ramp and dock, right downtown, and separated from town by the floodwall.
    Several nice restaurants, movie theaters, lodging, and shopping within short walking distance of the park.
    There is a Charity Bass Tourney held there annually.

http://www.cityofhuntington.com/Visiting/tour/tour-riverfrontpark.asp

http://www.flickr.mud.yahoo.com/photos/rcvernors/sets/72057594131248773/detail/

5. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    As said before, the Ohio River. Mon River is good too. Many believe the next state record flattie will be caught at Burnsville lake. Story has it, which was published in WV Game & Fish that the a new state record was caught last year at Burnsville lake, but after they weighed it on the boat, they thought it was under the record. When they got back to the boat ramp, they supposedly discovered the state record was less than they thought; thus, releasing the fish without it being properly recorded. That's the story anyway.

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Ok I need to get some more information on Burnsville lake any one have anything boat ramp sites or a phone number would help out great thanks

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Map

http://www.lrh.usace.army.mil/_kd/Items/actions.cfm?action=Show&item_id=6059&destination=ShowItem

Ramps

Launch ramps for the boating enthusiasts and fishermen are located at the Riffle Run Day Use Area, Bulltown Day Use Area and Bulltown Camping Area.

Contact

Project Manager, (304)853-2371. Call (304)853-2398 for a recorded message providing updated information on lake and tailwater conditions, precipitation, launch ramps, fishing, hunting, campground, and special statements. Bulltown Campground (304)452-8006. Bulltown Campground Reservations (877)444-6777. Riffle Run Campground (304)853-2583. Burnsville Marina (304)853-2822.

Directions

Burnsville Dam is located in Braxton County on the Little Kanawha River 124 miles above its confluence with the Ohio River and approximately 3 miles above the town of Burnsville, WV. From I-79 take Exit 79. Follow Route 5 to the dam and project office.

Marina

Burnsville Lake marina located at the Riffle Run Day Use Area directly behind the dam. The dock area, which is privately owned, provides visitors with docking facilities, boat rentals, snack bar, and an array of fishing supplies.