Need to get a good river anchor

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Seth, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I know alot of you have made your own, but are there any good ones on the market already premade that would do a good job holding my 16' boat on the Missouri River? My anchor line is plenty long, just need a good anchor to attach it too now. We used to have access to a bunch of old tire weights and stuff to make sinkers, etc but don't anymore so I don't have much lead to make my own anymore. :embarassed:

2. angiereid21

angiereid21 New Member

State:
    Excelsior Sp MO
    i also have a 16 foot boat and i use a 15 lbs river anchor from bass pro it is very cheap and it is now very effective. the first time i used it i had no luck staying in one spot. i went back to bass pro and the let me know i was not using enough line. i read that you have a long line just make shur you put out alot of extra so the anchor can dig in a set to hold you boat. just FYI keep a sharp knife near your ancor line when on the river logs will tip a boat very quickly if your not ready:0a26:

3. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Thanks for the advice. I'll check into that anchor. If 15 pounds will hold me, that sure will be a lot easier to drag up than the big ol cinder block I'm used to dragging up out of the muck.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    When I had my 18 foot boat I made a big grappling hook style that could bend if stuck. Best darn anchor out there for a boat 18' and smaller.

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if im fishing in the rocks i use an anchor i made out of rebar and a 4 foot piece of chail.when fishing where theres a soft bottom i use a salt water anchor called a fluke,15 lbs,dont know if they make them any more ive had this one sence the 50s.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The navy anchor that you can buy from Cabelas does a decent job. I carry a 15lb navy as a backup anchor, and it will hold me on the mud flats in pretty good current, but pretty much forget about anchoring next to the main channel. The heavier ones might perform a bit better there, and a few feet of heavier chain between the rope and the the anchor would probably help, too.

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Seth, I had good luck with those "digger" anchors when I had a smaller boat. They're really light and dig in well if you use the recommended amount of rope. They're great if you're fishing medium current with a sand/mud bottom and easy on the back. I'm with the other guys on the navy anchors, I used one for the longest time and it's still my backup anchor and probably the best all-around anchor I've used as far as a compromise between ease of pulling and "hanging" ability.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    That reminds me - I've got one of those I'd like to get rid of... It doesn't have enough gumption to hold my big boat...

9. catfish9

catfish9 New Member

State:
    kansas
    we made our anchor (flat fighter,river runner and myself)out of materials from our shop and they are about thirty pounds and will hold a 20 ft flat bottom on the missouri.They are 1/2 inch steel plates spliced and welded with rebar and 2 other steel plates on the bottom