Need tips on skinning a Gar!

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by dinkbuster1, Jun 18, 2007.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    a friend caught his first gar last night (42 incher) and we decided to skin him and cook him over the campfire and give it a try, heard they were very good. well, after whipping out my "survivor man" skills we sat down to sample some of it (thank god for fast food salt packets!). it was great! meat was white, flaky, and very delicious. i will never again just toss these things in the weeds, they will go home with me! however, i tried a trick that i think i read on here once where you get the meat loose from the skin a bit and just pull the meat out......nope, wasnt that easy. ended up getting it skinned about halfway and just cut out that part of the body. anyone have an easier way?

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    no mike thats the only way i know , could you tell me how to cook a turtle

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you know i actually did cook a turtle leg/thigh over the fire last year. wasnt good at all:sad2:, maybe if i woulda had some salt. it might have been better. :roll_eyes:

4. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    take a machete and chp off head and tail, pruning snips up back to open the tube you have left. pul out the bavkstraps?

5. large1

large1 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thats how I do it.With a little practice you will get the hang of it.Good eatinf fried or grilled.

6. ChannelHead

ChannelHead New Member

State:
    Georgia
    The first one i cleaned, i used a hachet and a hammer. it worked, but it was to much like work. Friend of mine tells me that once you cut off the head and tail, you can beat whats left with a stick, broomhandle, ball bat, etc..and eventually the skin will slip off like a sock. I haven't tried it yet.

7. TheCatfishingBoy

TheCatfishingBoy New Member

State:
    NC
    I cut off the tail and let it bleed for a while then use plies from the gills down to skin them

8. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i cleaned one a month ago and it took longer to skin one gar than it took to clean the rest of the fish. 12 catfish. it tastes ok, but i don't know if i am gonna work that hard to eat fish.

9. cicnolo

cicnolo New Member

State:
    ne. CENTRA
    CUT OFF HEAD WITH AXE. USE TIN SNIPS TO CUT DOWN THE BELLY.REMOVE INNARDS.NOW STARTING AT THE TOP BEGIN TO SKIN LIKE A DEER.ONCE STARTED YOU MAY BE ABLE TO USE YOUR FINGERS TO SEPARATE SKIN FROM MEAT.ONCE YOU HAVE THE MEAT OUT THERE IS A Y SHAPED PIECE OF GRISEL DOWN THE MIDDLE. ALL THE BONES ARE IN THE SKIN SO ONCE YOU CUT THE MEAT OFF THE GRISEL YOUR READY TO COOK.