Need tips on keeping shad alive

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by megablue, Mar 25, 2006.

1. megablue

megablue New Member

State:
    kansas
    Would appreciate any tips about keeping shad alive. This would be in my baitfish tank at home (old deep freezer). Been using epsom salt, stress coat, circulating water with a lot of aeration, and I use the same water the fish were caught in. Thanks for any help. Megablue:)

2. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    MegaBlue:

What the Striper guides do to keep them alive for up to two weeks is use a Round Tank, It can't be square or they will kill themselves running into the corners and dump in Water softener or stock Salt and circulate and aireate the water. Don't overcrowd the tank with too many shad. 50 gallons or more could handle maybe 200 or so. It works for them.

Gene

3. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    cant help you with keepin them alive but can tell ya i do better with them cut in half, using the head half. ducain and i drove our selves crazy tryin to keep them alive, cause they die on us within minutes of netting. so i spent about $25 to turn a 30 gal cooler into a live well. didnt get a single bite on live ones. cut one in half, within 30 min had a flat on.

4. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I agree with akwolf... Round tanks... I've kept them alive for longer then the "standard" 5 minutes in a 5 gallon bucket w/ aerator and it was 3 10" plus 5 white perch (5-7") and a bluegill or 2... 2 hrs later i got them home and put them into a 30 gal tankish (drink bins, the round ones you fill w/ ice and has rope handles) and they stayed alive for 2 days... the bluegil and the white perch all died before the shad... so i can say that the round helps... it helps on most fish anyway though... unless you try netting them out... The other thing is just keep them well oxygenated and keep the water filtered and ammonia free ...

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
  6. badbob46

badbob46 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    a round take is the only thing they will survive in. i have a plastic 55 gallon drum that i cut in half and i use a regular 12 volt aerator and they do fine for me, the only thing i do is keep an eye on them and if they start getting stressed, i will put new water on them and in the summer i will keep a couple of frozen 2 litre bottle of ice with me and let one float in the tank to cool their water down , because the aerator does create heat when its pumping. i use them live and have caught lots of fish including a 45 pound flathead last year. here is the advantage tho, even if you like to use them as cut bait, its still better if you can catch enough for your whole trip at one time and keep them alive throughout your fishing trip, that way every bait you cut up will be fresh and bleeding when you bait up, as opposed to having been on ice for several hours.

7. megablue

megablue New Member

State:
    kansas
    :) Thanks for the help, I'll give it a try...megablue quote=wolfman]Here is a link to the library that mig

8. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i used to live in ark. on beaver lake . i went through the whoole shad thing for 2yrs before i started to have sucess, like the guides wont help. so i just started to try stuff. my expearance, shad need to stay between 65/75 degrees , u do have to have a round or oval container. i use now a 25 gal salt water bait well . i only have a flat bottem boat now . u need to insulate it with at least 2 inches of insulation. as rapid temp. flux. will kill them, i do not use oxygen any more . i found that if i kept every thing out of the bait well they couldent have a wreck. i run a 750 gal hr pump 12 volt. with a spray head out of 3/4 pvc pipe with 3/32 holes in it 10 inches above water line . it puts oxy in the water. i also have a catch box under the nozzle to catch scales on such. the salt helps . but y ou can by commercial shad keeper. through your local bait house . oh yeah the big pump/insulation, will keep water arround 72 deg even summer . it pumps so fast it cools the water. works great for me. . to keep a lot of bait rig a water trough round 200/500 gal will work at home ,. u can keep shad indefinately. have a day