Need Tips On Drift Fishing For Catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Vonroc, May 24, 2006.

1. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Whats the best way to rig for drift fishing.I fish mostly on the bottom and sometimes slip float , I would like to give this a try. I don't have a depth finder.

2. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Try setting up your rig like this

() = bobber
    <> = weight
    J = hook
    O= split swivel

fig 1

-------<>----------------()---J

fig 2.
    -------O-----------------()----J
    |
    |
    <>

fig 3

--------O-------------------<>
    |
    |
    J

all 3 rigs will keep your bait off the bottom. We usually set them up so that your bait is 5 foot off the bottom.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Are you fishing a lake or river.For a lake I usually use a barrel swivel with a sliding weight above it,30in of leader with a crappie float and 7/0 Kahle hook.The leader can be longer or shorter and the float should be 6"-8" from the hook.Also put a bead between the weight and the swivel.:smile2:

4. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I just put a walking sinker (lightest to just hold the bait on the bottom) on the end on the line, which drags on the bottom and one dropper loop above the sinker about a foot and sometimes I put another loop above that about a foot. I have it out and as I drift I have the line about a 45 degrees from the boat. that way the bait is close to the bottom and one is higher for suspending cats. I use 5/0 circle hooks and keep the drag a bit light and with the clicker on. That is so when the fish hits and loads up the rod then the drag goes off and the clicker sounds and the fish hook thereself. You only have to reel them in. Works great for me.

5. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try.

6. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Has anyone used a downrigger?

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Depends on how I'm drifting. If I am lake fishing I use very little weight and fish behind the boat meaning that I fish the area i have already drifted over, using just enough weight to keep the bait down. In a river I either vertically drift or anchor and let out line in a controlled "drift". This works well below dams. I plan to work with the KatBobbers this year.