Need surf fishing advice.

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by wylie catter, Dec 21, 2006.

1. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think I'm going to ride down to the beach right after Christmas and try a little surf fishing. But I don't know what I'm doing. I guess I'll take a few medium action spinning rods. But what should I use for bait? And what kind of rig should I use. I'm mainly going to blow off steam and try to forget about work but it would be nice to catch something. I'll be somewhere in the vacinity of myrtle beach SC. But far enough away from it to avoid any crowd. I need any advice yall can offer. What to look for where to cast or anything would be a help. Thanks.

2. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    I would use shrimp, fresh if you can get it. And or squid and maybe some salt water shad. The water temp is pretty cool now so the blues and jacks are probably runnin. Try at the end of a jetty or under a pier or somthing with structure first. Use a heavier bass set up with a size 2 to 2/0 hook rigged up carolina style with a 1oz egg sinker. Let it drift awhile and if you hav'nt caught anything in about 15 min, move about 20 yards up or down the beach and repeat. If you have anymore questions let me know and i'll try to help. Good luck

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Go to the nearest pier or tackle shop and ask the same questions.They will have the bait and rigs you need to use for specifc species and they will probably be able to tell you where to fish and on what stage of the tide.:smile2:

4. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    What exactly is a jetty?

5. richard dunbar

State:
    Washington
    A jetty is a water break made of rocks that extends out in the water any where from 50-1000 yards usually by harbors or large bends on a beach. There designed to break up the waves in the event of a storm.

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I don't know about SC, but I know there are only like 4 jetties in NC(or so few that they you don't see them on every stretch of beach), unlike NJ were they are very abundant. So fishing a jetty might be tough, but look for sloughs in the beach. Areas were the waves get closer to the beach before breaking. Those are areas were deeper water is allowed to come in further and fish can often use it like a channel to get out of a cross current. Use that fish finder rig mentioned earlier with cut fresh mullet or frozen finger mullet for redfish, trout, flounder, and bluefish.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

These guys have given you some good advice already. Shrimp, blood worms, cut bait, mullet and so on are good baits. Save yourself some time and visit the local piers are call and ask what is biting and what bait is working. most of the piers will be happy to tell you.
    here is a link to a few piers there
    www.myrtlebeachbest.com/fishing.html

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    They have been filling coolers with big trout over at the jetty at Cape Lookout.
    Need a boat or a 4 wheel drive.
    It's hard to beat the surf fishing of the extreme outerbanks.
    When I say extreme I mean the islands you have to pay a private ferry to get you there. Thats where the diehards fish. Leave the little kids and the wife at home though. There are no ammenities whatsoever.
    You got only what you brought.

9. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Lot of folks out here are using the plastic.... "power grubs" or use the carolina set up as Mr. Dunbar suggests... shrimp or squid.. if your are going to use bait.... slip sinker, plasitc bead, swivel and then 20 - 30 inches of leader... tie a knot half way down the leader, and then uniknot on a lighter leader about 6" with grub on one hook... and then a grub further down at the end of the leader. Throw out beyond the surf break line and "lift and drop" slowly back to shore. repeat until you find the fish..
    Fish the current break line ....

bayrunner ray

10. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I really appreciate all the advice fellas. That drifting carolina rig sounds real good because that's how my rods are already set up anyway. Is a 2/0 really all you need in the surf? I use circle hooks all the time, and I use 4 or 6's for smaller fish and 8's when I'm after big ones. I'm not doubting nobody because like I said I don't surf fish. Just wondering. Thanks.

11. richard dunbar

State:
    Washington
    yep, trust me thats all you need is a 2/0. thats 2 aught, larger than a size 1 good luck

12. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Live mullet is what I always use. Get them about 7 inches long and you with catch something everytime. May only be ladyfish but they put up a good fight.

13. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    ive had pretty good success with a size 8 circle for my reds and flounder. i dont prefer the kahle hooks, but thats just my preference. ive seen people hook almost everyfish that hit their bait on a kahle, but i may as well be fishing with no hook:tounge_out: .

14. Texas_Select

Texas_Select New Member

State:
    TX
    Search through the saltwater archives because there was lots of great posts relating to tackle, technique, etc. for surf fishing. Good Luck when ya go fish!!

I primarily fish from Surfside to Bryan Beach at the river cut along the Texas Gulf Coast for big bull reds and sharks.