Need suggestions quick!!

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by buzz crackstock, May 2, 2006.

1. buzz crackstock

buzz crackstock New Member

State:
    Springfield, IL
    My brother and I are going camping this weekend and would like to find somewhere we can camp close to the water and have a good chance at catching some nice cats. We live in Litchfield which is about half way between springfield and st. louis on I-55. We didn't want to drive too far.

2. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    sounds like a plan, can't really tell you where to go there, I know the family and I are doing the same thing the end of this month, we are going to warriors path state park, upper east tennessee, and i am really looking forward to that trip.

3. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    Just go and enjoy the time with your brother and catch a few big ones for me!

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    You might check the state maps for parks or campgrounds close to you.
    give us a post of how it went.
    good luck.

5. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Do you ever have any luck in yager? I would try carlyle it is not too far and there are lots of bank spots available.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Ive never been there but you might want to check out Pere Marquette State Park by the Illinois River and also is close to the Mississippi river. I'd bet thats some good catfishin in that stretch of water.

7. fishguts

fishguts New Member

State:
    Illoinois
    Hey, give Weldon Springs a try. Clinton is excellent and Siloam Springs is a real sleeper. Check out the Illinois DNR website.

8. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    There are campsites at Sangchris state park (south campground) that are right on the water, and the catfish bite is pretty good right now. My fiancee and I were actually thinking about heading out there this weekend. Good luck wherever you guys go.

9. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Don't know what to tell ya, but to have fun.

10. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hi Nathan, I would certainly put Lake Shelbyville, Lake Clinton on your list. Where ever you go, I hope you catch a boat load.

11. buzz crackstock

State:
    Springfield, IL
    I will have to check out the south campground at sangchris. Hve camped at the one with the pond while hunting up there and kind drove through the south one but there were so many people there I got kinda discouraged about camping there. They might have been having some kinda get together though. Any suggestions for lake shelbyville or clinton. What campsite or where to fish?

12. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    I grew up over by Lake Shelbyville, and went camping there a lot. When Dad went camping, he liked going where no one else was, so we stayed in Lone Point and Whitley Creek campgrounds a lot. Those are run by the corps of engineers. The state also has two campgrounds over there, Wolf and Eagle Creek, which are really nice. It's still early in the season, so it's probably not too crowded at either of those parks yet. The good thing about camping at Shelbyville is that they have about ten campgrounds over there, so if you don't like one, you can hit up the next one down the road.

13. Kentucky Boy

Kentucky Boy New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Not sure how the fish are biting up that way, but keep us posted and good luck.

14. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Let us know where you end up and how you do. Good Luck!

15. buzz crackstock

State:
    Springfield, IL
    Well, my brother backed out but I'm still goin'. I am going to Sangchris and am not sure where I will be camping but will be driving a white dodge Dakota if anybody wants to stop by and fish a little or B.S. I'll be there by 1pm or so friday until around noon sunday. I decided on sangchris because of the pics I saw of the big flats that were caught there recently. Also because I am goin' to college in Springfield and it's kinda on the way home. I'm loading up my gear tonight and will go straight there after school tomorrow. That still sounds wierd. "After school". I graduated high school in '93. It's been awhile.

16. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    I hope you did better down on Sangchris than I did this weekend. I got there at about 7:00 AM Sunday morning and fished through noon. I only caught 3 small cats down in the middle arm. I caught a half dozen drum though, another guy said they were starting to spawn now.
    I couldn't believe how busy the lake was up on the northside. I think I'm gonna have to forget about camping there this summer unless I go during the week.

17. buzz crackstock

State:
    Springfield, IL
    well, I had a great time and caught about a dozen small cats. Used live gills most of the time. Caught the cats fishing for gills with night crawlers. Caught 3, 17 to 20 inch stripers friday night, bunch of bass all weekend, 6 or 7 carp saturday mornin and a small case of the sniffles. Got perty chilly during the nights.

18. coadyadam

coadyadam New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i would try jim edgar park near chandlerville