Need suggestions for boat ramp

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by solomon, Mar 22, 2007.

1. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Getting ready to build one in a few weeks on our place on the river. Been wanting to do it for a long time and we're finally getting around to it. The problem is We cant get a concrete truck down there. I've calculated that it would take about 700 #80 bags of quikcrete, so that's out. Have any of you ever built one for access to moving water? What did you do? I'm pretty sure we're gonna have to put something in the floor of it, or it'll get too muddy to use.

2. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Concrete curb stops for parking lots work pretty good, just lay them next to each other running parralel to the river and fill the gaps between them with river rock. Either that or just a few loads of river rock dumped and spread thick.

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Have you considered pumping the concrete?
    Or perhaps ferrying it with a Bobcat or End-Loader?

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Got any hog farms around?
    The concrete slats have to be replaced over the years. Typically these slats get piled in the woods, The slats I cant remember the size but it seems like they are 4x8 feet. You'll need a tractor.
    There are boat ramps in the farm ponds on this farm made from them.

5. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I would use a tractor with a front end loader or a bobcat, to bucket the concrete around. I have a small Tractor with a front end loader, and I used it to move concrete several times.

6. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I thought about using the tractor, but the closest place a concrete truck can get is over a mile away.

7. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    That sounds like a good idea. I don't know of any hog farms around off hand, but I'll look around.

8. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Two things to consider or look for. The first is old military landing mats used to construct runways in world war two. The second is shaker screens from a rock quary. Both of these can be had for aprox scrap metal prices. I was in the water well drilling business and we used both as a means of moving 50,000 lb eq. they mash into the mud and then support the load and provide traction.