Need stronger test line!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by holdemplyer, May 12, 2007.

1. holdemplyer

holdemplyer New Member

State:
    nebraska
    kinda a spur of the moment trip last night, had one snap my line, 12lb test, just as I got it about 1' away from shore, and then landed the one in the pic, was happy as all get out as it's the biggest one i've caught in a few years, sadly, i havent had much of a chance to fish in the last few years.

Even got a suprise swim by, a northern watersnake was cruising around. Shocked the heck outta me because i had never had no clue what it was till i reseached it this morning, and i consider myself a pretty knowledgeble guy when it comes to snakes in nebraksa, guess not, lol. thought i've encountered everything that slithered in this state....

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      84.5 KB
      Views:
  2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I used to use light line for a long time also. I didn't feel like I needed heavy line for channelcats, and almost never hooked into anything worth talking about. After getting on some better water, and catching more and better fish, I started to get my line broke more often, and decided to go heavier. It doesn't take a 12 pound fish to snap 12 pound line. Any little nick or abbrasion will result in line failure, costing you a fish. You never know when club lunker is gonna whack your bait either. Looks like it's time for an upgrade. Everybody has their personal fav. I use 30# cajun red high abbrasion resistant line, and love it. On my light tacle I use 17# cajun, and it is very strong as well.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Alex thanks for sharing your trip and pics of a nice cat. Watch our for the snakes.:lol: :big_smile:

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Alex, I have to side with Matt. You probably had a weak spot in the line and when the fish got close to the shore and made its break for freedom, the weak spot parted. If you have your drag set right, the "experts" say you should be able to play and land a fish at least twice the poundage of your line. Course, if they find rock with a razor sharp edge, that 3 lb channel will part 80 pound test line. I'd say first you need to pay more attention to your terminal tackle and about the first 10 to 15 foot of line that comes off your reel. If your fishing a body of water where you would expect to catch the very large cats, then you may want to upgrade to a higher test. If your fishing stock ponds or small city lakes, I doubt you need more than 20 lb test line... probably not even that heavy. But, YOU let your conscience be your guide.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice Channel Cat!

6. holdemplyer

holdemplyer New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Thanks for all the great advice!!!! thats why this board rocks!

7. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    What kind of reel you using?

Last few years I've been fishing Big Game 20-30# line..

Before that, I used 17# Stren Orginal for years and years.. Still do on my Old Zebco 33's.. Cheap, Strong, and Casts very well if you do decided to heavy up, would be a very good option for channels, occasional Flathead, Big Carp, etc....(I've caught fish well into the 30lb range on it)

8. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    80# power pro, and you will sleep well:wink: