Need some tips

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by jerseycat9, Mar 27, 2007.

1. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I am gonna try seriously for flatheads this year. I am primarily a bank fisherman. The river here in GA that I fish is muddy and mud bottomed. For I was thinking that a paternoster rig would be the best rig for this type of fishing to keep the my live bait from sitting in the mud all night. But I have thought about the gills tangling themselves up also as they panick. Has anyone else had this problem with this rig? And am I overlooking a better rig for this river?

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Terry Its muddy here also. After you cast your carolina rig (best) just pull the sinker back about a foot to make sure it ain't sunk 4 inches into the mud. You might want to use around a 13 to 15 inch leader to let the bait swim up a little. You should find that OK.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    mud bottoms are good for flats, but are not a prerequisite. For really good flathead fishing, you need log jams, trees that are partially submerged, large rocks and boulders, and/or undercut banks. You find the mud with combination of the others you will be okay...otherwise take a good book with you. LOL

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'd try a slip-bobber rig on at least 1 pole,IMO. You can switch up depths and float it right over cover or about where you want. You've got some excellent advice so far also.
    Good Luck and let us know how you do!

5. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    No shortage of debris in this river lots of undercut banks,trees, and bends. I tried slipfloats but fish this stretch at night to avoid competition from other fisherman and with no light I have a suspertition about using lights at night and its hard to guide the float. The boat ramps are still un usable so its gonna be "shore thing" Get it LOL

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Use the glow sticks Gene/akwolf sells.He has a great price on 100 packs. I use glow sticks taped to my bobber every time I night fish.It works great!!!

7. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Fish submerged timber or log jams as far ar the rig i would hook a live bluegill with # 8/0 circle hook through the tail and have a egg sinker weight depends on the current above a heavy duty swivel with the swivel being about 18 inches from the hook and make sure your knots are good I use a palomar.

8. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Thanks John. I am gonna try this with the floats. But Ill tell ya its hard toi see your hand in front of your face with how dark it gets and when that fog rolls in I have troulbe getting back to the car let alone seeing where the log jams begin and end LOL IM gonna shop around for same real bargains for floats Im gonna be spending a lot this year on lost tackle LOL But the couple flats that I got in the summer were in really shallow flats after dark with little cover. The biggest was 12 pounds. Should I still target the heavy timber after dark for the bigger ones ?

9. HoFFmaXX

HoFFmaXX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Definitely. The only reason you caught em up there is because at nigth sometimes they go up there in the shallows to catch baitfish and not to mention, its cooler. But the BIG ones will rarely come that close to the bank, shovelheads like cover and you can never go wrong lookin in that brush.