need some techniques for the Mississippi

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by wishiwasfishing, Sep 4, 2008.

1. wishiwasfishing

wishiwasfishing Member

State:
    missouri
    Name:
    Capt. Jason
    My friend posted on here (hurricane) and i was wondering if i could get some more indepth info on bait, rigs, what to look for. We are fishing mainly be hind dikes, should we fish more towards the fast current or back in the calmer water. Or whare should we be fishing. We have been using goldfish like he said. I read that we are using the wrong bait and the fishing is kinda slow also. I should note that we have caught a few, one being 40#+:big_smile: and one stealing a rod from hurricane:angry:. a commercial cat man said we need to float are rigs because of oxygen levels. Im kinda confused , all info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jason

2. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Deeper slower water in high summer often has lower oxygen content. Sometimes to the point where fish kills happen. Faster shallower water will have higher oxygen content, and as a result, more fish. Faster water passing through riffles, or having more contact with air will give it a higher Oxygen content.

Often this is seen in deep lakes, were fish "suspend" over deeper water. Its a balancing act, concealment, temperature, pressure, and O2 levels all effect where fish will hold. Others can probably explain the causes better than I can.

Try fishing eddys just off the faster water. And like the commercial fisherman said, try a few rigs under bobbers.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I can't believe that a thermocline can form in the churning Mississippi River! They will definitely form in deeper lakes, and there's no oxygen to speak of below the thermocline, but I've never heard of one in a river.

4. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Try setting one rig in the deep water off the end of the dike in current,one in the calmer water beside it nearer bank.If you like,try a slip float in the calmer water.If you're fishing for Flathead,try finding an oxbow,creek,or cove with snags or other cover.Fish close to the cover with your Goldfish.Otherwise,you shuold really use fresh cut bait.Hope this helps.

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Have a fishin partner who swears by Goldfish and he has some luck withthem.Myself I don't .To me your better off usinf what they are more used to eating. Like Shad ,Mooneyes ,Skippys that sort of thing. We have most of our luck around wing dikes above and underwater. Just keep atrying your day will come.
    Oh yeah by the way WELCOME to the BOC/SOC!!
    Check out the BOC Libarary lot of good info in there on baits,riggng etc. Forum for what ever type kitty your after.
    Just enjoy the water and stay safe out there.

6. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    First off there is no termocline in the river it has moving water.Big blues like fast current,fish on the edge of it and in it.The best bait you can get is fresh netted bait cut into chuinks,fillets strips,or use the head with part of the gut pocket.I have had some luck on small shad,mooneye,skips 2-4" long whole.Look for structure like channel edges,log piles,rocks,bardges,mouths of creeks and so on.You can fish on the bottom or if the currents slow try driftingm with your baits set at different depths.I use MH & H action rods with enough weight to hold bottom (this will vary) I use 7/0 to 9/0 eagle claw king kahles.Hope this helps you some.:big_smile:

7. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    wishiwasfishing,

Sounds like we have a few things to try tonight!

8. wishiwasfishing

wishiwasfishing Member

State:
    missouri
    Name:
    Capt. Jason
    Yea we sure do. Dan is out rite now and i sugested to drift and just see what happens. On my fish finder im showing mostly suspened fish. Thanks every body for the info. This is what makes it fishing, it can be tough but i think if we put or time in it will pay off. Never give up thats for sure.

9. wishiwasfishing

wishiwasfishing Member

State:
    missouri
    Name:
    Capt. Jason
    If im fishing by the dike should the boat be positioned next to the tip of the dike so i can fish the rough water and the edge of it or should i be up above it just a little? Would any body have the time to go with me on a sunday trip or take me with you, i have my own rig (2072 war eagle) or i will be more than happy to throw down on what ever expence if we use your rig. Just want a little first hand guidence.
    Thanks
    Jason

10. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Where are you at? What section of river?

11. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    Did Dan go out by himself this morning? Let me know if he does any good. You should tell him to catch some asians to use for bait.