Need Some Suggestions! Shallow Water Catfish

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by vclifford28, Oct 12, 2008.

1. vclifford28

vclifford28 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was fishing on Lake Belton last wednesday off a lighted pier.It was early still about 5pm and after about an hour of fishing I got up to stretch and noticed some movement along the rocks. So I went to the walk way and looked into the water and in about 3 ft of water there were atleast 8 cats that were huge! I hate to speculate on weight but they were bigger than anythiong I've ever caught.They were so shallow you could see their wiskers. But they would'nt hit anything.I tried cut gills, night crawlers, secret 7, and hot dogs and nothing.As soon as it hits the water they swim somewhere else.I even tried no weight and let it sink nice and slow and still nothing. Any advice? And no,I can't ignore them.Tried to but it just not going to happen.

2. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas

3. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Unfortunately,thats now illegal in Texas as of September 1,2008.

4. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas

That is not Legal.

5. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Wow Mo we posted at almost the same time.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sometimes they are just not going to bite. was there any mussels there, they could have been feeding on them

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    12/0 treble hook! :smile2: j/k, That is interesting, were they pushing shad, gills, or other fish into the rocks to trap them for feeding? Crawdads maybe?

8. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have seen this kind of thing before too. I tried everything and then I took a little live bullhead and made slashes on his side and hooked him and tosed him in and after a minute of them looking at that bullhead going crazy and trying to swim towards them while bleeding out , One of them came over and sucked him up.

It seems to me that when I have seen this activity in shallow water along shore the only chance you have to get them to bite is to use a bait fish in distress.

Matt AKA DESODE

9. Jaylake_21

Jaylake_21 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey Vincent, Lake Belton is my home waters, as I now live in Bryan/College Station. You actually see alot of that on Belton Lake. Next time you go out, try chumming. If you are unsure about chumming, send me an email and i'll send you my recipe for it, or you can find it in the BOC Library.. Good Luck...

10. drkrobotnik

drkrobotnik New Member

State:
    texas
    never chummed before, but that sounds like it would work.

i think the distressed bait theory is accurate in this situation. makes lots of sense. you'd think they'd rather have food that they didn't have to work for/chase but whatever..

it's all about thinking like a catfish i guess :D haha.

hopefully i can go fishing at belton sometime soon... been too busy with football games and school :p

11. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    Try a limb line or or wieghted jug in the area. so your bait can be there before they get there and don't get spooked away. Sometimes it seems like they just don't want anything you throw in for bait though. I have never fished there but use a cast net to catch bait and see what they would naturally be feeding on and try that for bait-- cut & live. If they are big catfish 10lb plus you might want to use live bait. Shad,perch gold fish etc. Good luck.

12. southtxcatter

southtxcatter New Member

State:
    texas
    sounds like a case of lockjaw

13. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    I think a crawfish woulda caught em. You might try shrimp next time as crawfish might be hard to get. I fish clear water here and know all about wary fish. Next time cast way over them and drag your bait to them. It's always best it your bait is not between you and the fish or they will spot you. I also like to way over cast and then let the bait sit on the bottom. When they get kinda close to it I lightly jig the bait. They will dart to it and inhale it usually.

Is the shoreline really grassy. They might be searching for hatching insects like hellegramits/dobson flys. If thats the case go to a flyfishing shop like Sportsmens warehouse and get a hellegramite fly. If you dont flyfish you can rig it under a bobber.

Try sinking a big ole grasshopper.

14. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Those are great suggestions.