Need Some Shotgun Info

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by canepole, Jun 25, 2006.

1. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I recently purchased a Remington 870/ 16 GA shotgun, And I was wondering if they make a turkey choke for 16's. I havn't had any luck finding one on line so I thought I would see if you all might be able to help me out, Thanks inadvance..Tom

2. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    At one time Remington made two 12 ga. turkey chokes and I assume they made them for the 16ga. also. (extra full and super full) Try Cabela's.

3. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Very few places supply chokes or modify 16 ga barrels to accept chokes.
    The following place does and they do great work. I had them modify my Remington Model 11-48 barrel for screw in chokes

If you need anything done to a shotgun barrel they can do it and it will be done correctly.

http://www.angleport.com/Default3.asp?C=70532

Jesse168

4. Jesse, is on the right track. The sweet sixteen is more than likely going to be a custom proposition. I've heard good things about angle porting.
    One do have experience with is the Briley Turkey trauma choke. I can't speak to highly of it. I don't think they make one in 16 but you could try to contact them as they do custom work and do tap guns for chokes so they may be able to set you up with one. Though be advised whatever custom job you get will probably cost as much as you got in the gun.

5. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    They only charged me $100 to bore and thread my barrel. The chokes were $22.50 each. Shipping and handling for return of my barrel and 3 chokes was $15. They had my barrel packed in a special styrofoam container inside a heavy carboard box. They packed it very good. I had this work done in 2003.

I checked with local gunsmiths around here and they charge around $150 just to bore and thread barrels to accept screw in chokes.

Jesse

6. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Thanks for your help feller's, I was told about a place that might be able to fix me up, I gave them a call and they custom built me a choke for turkey shoots, The company is called Carlson's choke tubes and they charged me
    $36.45 Shipping and all. And I got it in the mail this week.Tom

7. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    let me know when you find some 16 ga ammo i need some my-self.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

A little off the subject but does anyone know anything about Columbia Shotguns? I know they were imported as a drug store shot gun in the late 1800's through the early 1900's and that a guy at a gun dealership offered me a brand new S&W 40 cal for it even swap. It was a gift from the wife's grand-mother an dI could never part with it but I can't find any info on it. any info will be helpful.

9. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    anyhting 16 gaugs is hard to come by. For turkey I want nopthing less than a 3.5" 12 gauge.

10. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I don't have the link to put up , but go online and try Brownells . They are a very large gun smithing and supply store out of Montezuma Iowa I think.
    Good Luck
    Brian

11. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Benji

I need to know the exact name on your Shotgun.
    Here are the the names I have for those using Columbia as a base for the name:

COLUMBIA; COLUMBIAN FIRE ARMS CO ; COLUMBIAN NEW YORK ARMS ; COLUMBIAN SINGLE ; COLUMBIAN ; "COLUMBIAN" FIRE ARMS CO.

All of these are "TRADE BRAND SHOTGUNS". All a store had to do was order a minimum of one dozen shotguns and pay for the stamp and certain gunmakers would put whatever name you wanted on their shotgun. Basicly what Sears, Montgomery Ward, and Western Auto did for years.

Majority of the "TRADE BRAND SHOTGUNS" were made by Crescent Fire Arms and Stevens Fire Arms but there were a lot more gun manufacturing companies doing it back then.

If I owned that shot gun (unless it's a highly engraved model) your friend wouldn't have to ask me twice about trading. The majority of those old shotguns sell between $50 to $150. They were a basic low priced shotgun that was made to meet the demand of share croppers and low income farmers.

One more thought...I'd take that pistol out and shoot it and take it to gunsmith to make sure cylinder is in proper alignment.

Jesse

12. bobact

bobact New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You might contact "The Gun Barrel Guy". His name is Howard Montgomery. His address is 12907 Deputy Pike, Deputy, Indiana. Phone # 812-873-7298. I used to work with him and his wife. They were both really into turkey shoots. He didn't like any of the guns that he could get ahold of so he started modifying his own. They worked so well that everyone around here wanted him to start working on their hhunting turkey guns. He quit the factory and went into business for himself. That was about 8-10 years ago. He could modify your existing barrel or custom make you a choke for it. You might give him a call.

13. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    I have and old Remington 1100--16 gage I can't find any thing for it.

:0010:

:cat: