Need some quick info on the river conditions

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by SkipEye, Apr 21, 2008.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    A BOC member is coming to town for three days (will be here tomorrow). He asked if someone could take him out and I didn't want to leave him hanging but also informed him I was just getting back from out-of-town.

Just got home this afternoon. I know all of the ramps here locally are flooded. I don't even know where to take him at Alton with the high water but will try anything.

Is the Alton Marina ramp open?

Anyone been out lately?

I've never been on the missouri and not sure I want the first time to be when all of the dikes are still under.

Suggestions?

If you have been out are you catching anything?

Are they still hanging in the shallows out of the main current or hunkered down in the deep holes?

Trying to help out a fellow BOCCER. I can make it Wednesday but that is the only day.

He is attending a class for 3 days here in town and gets off at 3:00pm (Near Page and 270)

His screen name is CATMAN1979. He may not have internet when he hits town. If anyone wants to go along, or tag along, or take him on a different day than Wednesday I have his cell number.

Thanks guys!

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Darryl,

I launched from Columbia Bottoms yesterday. Ramp was in good condition, River was screamin' fast and yes, all wing dykes are under water, including some of the channel markers.

Motored up to west alton, maple island, to see if the ramp was under water. It was not, although you definately do NOT have far to back the truck into the water though! That ramp looked good also. As you can imagine, the river is screamin' high there too.

I fished for a few hours and didn't have any luck, course I did have my four year old daughter with me so I stayed back in the back waters, (the waters that are normally not accessable when the river is at normal level). I caught plenty of bait near Maple isalnd, which included but not limited too; shad, asian, and SKIPEYES:big_smile:

I am planning on getting out this weekend as well, I am hoping that I will be able to launch from STL or Flamm City. If I can't, well I don't know what I'm going to do??!!

Hope this helped ya buddy!

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Darryl, if you have a nav chip for that 797 you should be in good shape on the MO.

Watch your daymarks when you're running to stay in the channel, watch the charts for your approximate wing dam positions when you move off-channel to fish and read the water around the dykes for where you want to be.

The lower MO down your way if I remember right has lots of notched dykes (big hole where the water is pouring through the notches) and that's where most of the fish I've heard being caught on the MO are coming from.

Water is high enough now you should be able to skate along the downstream side of the dykes until you get to the holes by the notch and fish them. That'll get you out of most of the trash coming down. If you do that, you'll probably be chucking the anchor over the dyke to the current face and may have to fool around a bit to get your anchor back, but no big deal.

You're coming off a small rise and it's supposed to stay steady for most of the week, so you might be able to pull a fish or two. Current out my way with the water high is running about 4MPH, you might be a bit higher down by CB depending on how much water's coming down. Still not bad by big muddy standards:wink:

I heard there's a guy on here, I think his last name is Simmons, that fishes the MO a lot, he might be able to give ya some pointers if you bribe him with some of Rhino's walleye fillets:smile2:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=lsx&gage=sclm7&view=1,1,1,1,1,1&type=2

4. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Rat,

Both Columbia Bottoms and Maple Island, will be another 2-3 ft higher by Wednesday compared to when you fished it. I may try to go have a look this afternoon if I have time. I don't think Maple Island is usable at 23.x ft which is where it will be.

Thanks for the input.

5. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    What the h-e-double L does this mean???? How can you 'skate' along a dike that is under water with current ripping over the top? Not sure what you mean by skating?????

Dropping a 28 lb anchor over the dike face and being able to retrieve it without being able to motor over the submerged dike (to get upstream of it) in this current is a risky move to never see your anchor again, right? I have dropped anchor over submerged dikes plenty of times in the pools but they are navagable by design.

I'm not sure about the accuracy of the nav chips on the MISSOURI RIVER dikes because the paper maps have not been updated for 20 years I think????

6. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Skippy, dont worry about the dykes on the Missouri. Just stay 20 or 30 yards off the bank when you are under power and you will be fine. As for where the fish are, I got skunked at Weldon Spring Sunday. They should be shallow with the water at flood stage. But they havent been where they are supposed to be all year.

7. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I should have added that you should always run according to the day markers but with the reading they posted this am you will not hit any dykes.

8. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thanks Bob. I need to get over my phobia of the Lower Missouri.:embarassed: Sure wish the dikes were exposed. I keep envisioning buying a lower unit after my first trip.:roll_eyes:

9. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    Bill i dont know what time you were at the boat ramp below melvin Price yesterday, but when i went over to watch the snaggers the boat ramp was gone! the water was just starting to come into the parking lot. that was at 4:00 pm. All the snaggers were snagging from the back of there trucks.

10. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Be sure and show him those 16OZ SINKERS!! :eek:oooh::wink::tounge_out::smile2:

11. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I am gonna try to go tomorrow if this %&&*&%$ rain ever stops. I guess I am a glutton for punishment but I got to keep tryin. I am talkin about Weldon Spring

12. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I hear ya Darryl, I've never taken my boat on the Missouri and it honestly scares me when it's this high.....Harold may have to hold my hand on the 3rd and keep telling me it's all gonna be alright.....lol:smile2:

13. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I was there about 130-200 pm and watched a couple boats launch from there, Like I said in my earlier post, there wasn't much of a ramp! :eek:oooh:

14. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Well they just don't pick up and move the dykes. The chip is pretty accurate really. I use it all the time when the water is going over the dykes. There's also a good way to tell. If you see a the bank go straight for a bit then you have a bowl taken out of the bank good chance there is a dyke under water on the upstream side. But yeah like Bob said if you pretty much just stay in the middle of the river you should be alright unless you hit a day marker or something. :smile2: Oh man your a good foot away from action stage on the missouri in St. Charles. You should be good to go. Try fishing the flats between the dykes find some water 10 foot and less.

15. wielms6

wielms6 New Member

State:
    warrenton missouri
    Dont worry Skipeye repairs on lower units is just common practice among us mo river fishermen right bob

16. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Skip, I have the repair manual for your engine too! So if you bang it up, just do the repairs yourself, I managed to do the repairs on mine! :eek:oooh::wink:

17. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I drove by the ramp at the boat club today and it is out of the water right now by about 6 feet. There is a ton of trash coming down the river though. I would definately not stay out after dark if you are going. Good luck Skip and let us know how it go's.

18. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    So..................I'm assuming that Flamm City is under water still????? And Truman???? :embarassed::sad2:

19. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I was down at Truman yesterday, and if It weren't for being in a lifted truck, there would have been water coming in the cab. It's about 4 ft deep in the parking lot.:wink:

20. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Skip, I should have phrased that better - by "skating" along the dyke, I just meant staying fairly close to the face to avoid the shallows behind it. Probably not a worry with the water this high, but ya never know. It's actually kind of fun when you get the hang of it feeling the water coming over the top of the dyke slewing the boat sideways:big_smile: Besides, if fish are in the hole they're probably going to be along the remnants of the bottom of the dyke where they have some current break.

You're right, they haven't updated the charts in 20 years, but on the stretches I've been on they haven't exactly been on a building spree, either. Remember, it's still a navigable waterway and the barges have to be able to run it, they're not going to put obstacles in the middle of the channel. Unless like Crazy said you count bouys that are playing peek-a-boo with the surface cause they've got something hung up in their cable:smile2: