Need Some Pier Info Please.

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by Socal-Mike, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Socal-Mike

Socal-Mike New Member

State:
    Anaheim California
    Hey fellas!

SInce going out on the pier makin mack bait...ive also ran into quite a few other fish- ive thrown all back. Since then ive heard most are at least decent for bait...

Ive researched a few online and it seems they may be:

1.Mullets of some kind??
    2.American shad??
    3.Spanish sardine??
    4.Scale sardine??

Am i correct in any of these? Can anyone else tell me some more fish i should keep and try out for bait??

thanks for the help!

2. captain

captain New Member

State:
    San Pedro, California
    mullet are excelent bait
    I think you mean Spanish Mackerel, not spanish sardines? Anyway they are not very good as bait, regular pacific or blue/green mackerel are much better.
    If you are fishing a pier you should also be catching a bunch of smelt, they get bigger than mackerel but are not a very good bait.
    Queenfish are also abundent at the piers but are lousey as bait.
    Tom Cod are also caught at piers but are lousey as bait.
    Regular sardines are pretty good bait, but they spoil very fast and most guys do not take care of thier bait properly.
    Anchovies are a prety good catfish bait but they realy get mushy, especially if you are using frozen ones.
    Lobster meat works as catfish bait, but not nearly as good as mackerel.
    Abalone does not seem to work.
    Starfish is a no no, nothing eats it.
    The small crabs work for catfish, but they are actually not legal to catch and use as bait, the bigger piecs of crab do not seem to work.
    Chunks of halibut, rock cod, calico bass, sand bass, yellowtail, barracuda, sea bass, grouper, tuna, albacore and a few other species do not seem to work well as bait, my theory is they loose thier atracting juices very fast.
    the best bait for catfish from the ocean is #1 Pacific Mackerel #2 Bonito and #3 Skipjack tuna.

3. Socal-Mike

Socal-Mike New Member

State:
    Anaheim California
    Thanks Captain, great info!
    Those macks still runnin a muck over there.
    Belmont pier has been about 25% lately on the catchin the runs...

4. crazychuy

crazychuy New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Hey Mike,

Regarding the pier fishing. I heard the "red tide" moved in at Belmont and that's why the bite is hit and miss.

I heard from locals in the "Pedro" area that "Cabrillo" pier has been the place to catch the Mac's. Last week the bite was incredible. They would bite on anything. This week is a little slower.

The Queen Mary's "Pier J" has been just as good if you don't want to cross over the bridge. I'm planning on going there tomorrow during the day to bet some bait.

CHUY

5. Socal-Mike

Socal-Mike New Member

State:
    Anaheim California
    Yeah, Captain said they were rampid in San Pedro a while back...its just too far for me, so i try belmont.
    Im tried to Pm u yesterday but it kept freezing up on me...long PM message too :cursing: twice!! :cursing:

Anyhow, let me know how it goes.

If all goes well, i will most likely have me my mom and pops, the lil bro and my sister too. So were talkin 5 peeps. I got a few, but im also gonna buy a pound of shrimp and a couple more macks from the vietnam market to be safe.

GOOD LUCK.

I also got a lil coupon too, $5 off a boat rental. It would be $20 total and we could just try a few spots out in the middle for the helluv it if u want...

6. Socal-Mike

Socal-Mike New Member

State:
    Anaheim California
    Its lookin like 95% a GO for tommorrow :cool:

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    CAptain gave good info on the bait theory. I agree with that.

8. crazychuy

crazychuy New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Mike,

Saw "RiverBud" yesterday and he hooked me up with some "SWEET" pole holders. I mean "SWEET". These things will last me a lifetime.

I don't think I will get a chance to go to the pier today. If I go I'm just going to pick some bait up at the local asian market.

I'll PM you or call you to let you know if I'll be there tonight.

CHUY

9. cliffey07

cliffey07 New Member

State:
    Redding, California
    is anybody hitting up irvine or sarl this weekend. I am back in town and i am ready to get back on some catfish action.

10. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hey guys, I hope all is well. Brandt, did Drew tell you about this weekend? My buddy tells me it will be pretty big swells this weekend to take out his boat. Athough it has two bilge pumps(pumps water out of boat) My buddy told me he wants to go out next week. You and Drew are more than welcome to fish with us. We have a few honey holes that always produce fish. Sculpin season starts tomorrow! Great tasting fish! We can also fish for mackeral.
    Man would like to join you guys to fish but, my truck broke down. It satting smoking and my brake pedal got hard. When I checked my trucks fluid this morning their was no transmision fluid! I will get it checked out tonight. I hope it is not too expensive :sad:

11. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Brian, my buddy left yesterday for his five day fishing trip to Gudalupe Island. I reminded him again to please bring me some bonito and skipjack. He took his video camera; hopefully he will record great white sharks eating the hooked tuna! Last year he lost alot of tuna to sharks.

Jaime

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Good looking out jaime. I will be at Irvine Sat for their little derby going on so hopefully I will get something. Those skippies aqnd bonita will come in handy in time for San V.

13. cliffey07

cliffey07 New Member

State:
    Redding, California
    brian, maybe i will see you at the vine this weekend, i want to go saturday myself. OH and jaime i would love to go next weekend but i will be in the sacramento area.

14. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Holla if you see me. I will be getting their around mid day with my little one.