Need some new tools.

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by FREESPOOL, Dec 16, 2007.

1. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I'm going to be ordering myself a X-mas present for myself in the next couple weeks. :wink: I'm wanting a couple new rods and reels. And I need some guidance from the brothers.
    I've been wanting the Abu 7000c3i. But it's a little pricey, so I'll just have to see what happens with that. Do you guys have any suggestions on a different reel?
    For the rods, I definitely want to get Catfish Safari. Now I'm a little confused as to which rods would be best for my type of fishing. I do quite a bit of fishing below Mel Price... But I also like to fish down towards the confluence, and above the dam. Below the dam, and at the confluence there's a pretty good current I would say. But when I'm fishing above the dam, it almost resembles a lake. The current is not to swift at all. And what kind of current would you guys consider the Missouri river to be, just up from the confluence?
    Would you all recommend the CS river rod for my conditions? I'm just worried it might be a little stiff for some of my fishing. Do they make a rod that would be better suited for the varied conditions?
    I'd appreciate your insight. I'll be continuing to read up on the subject. I just want to hear from the guys that kind of fish in my area.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Well. Seein how I don't fish in your area. I got nothin to say but.............. NEVERMIND!

3. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Hey Dan, take a look at the Penn 220GTO reels they are cheaper then the 7000's and work pretty darn good. As for the Rods I'm not sure what to tell you about the catfish safari ones. I got to see Gary's River rod when we went fishing and it is definatly a nice rod. I really liked the corded handle no worries about it getting wet and slick like with foam or cork.

4. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Thanks alot Katfshn50, I'll take that into consideration. :smile2::smile2:

I have a Penn 230 on the Slammer rod Malichi. It sure seems like a nice setup. That's the combo I caught the 38 lber on when I went down South with Ryan a couple weeks ago. I'll look into the 220GTO. It's come up in my searches a number of times.
    The last time I went out, it seemed like my 230 was a little sticky or something while casting and waiting to feel the sinker hit bottom. I guess with all the snow on the ground would be a good time to learn how to service my rods and reels.

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Drop Steve with CatfishSafari an email and tell him what type of fishing you are doing, and what weights you generally use. He will point you to the correct rod. If your price sensitive to the ambassadors, like Mike said you CANNOT beat the Penn GTO 220's. You can find them for 50 bucks on the net, and they have all the torque and speed you could possibly want on a catfish stick. I have 2 of them, and I love them. They work great on the dams too as they have the torque you need to lift a 16 ounce weight and a big ol PIG bluecat too. Best wishes with your new equipment.

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    OH, you can use CatfishSafari's link on the main web page of the BOC. Tell em Cuz sent you. :smile2:

7. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I'll do that Cuz. I'm pretty sure he's going to tell me the River Rod with the weight that i'm throwing though. And maybe that's the one to get. I'm generally throwing 8 oz. sinkers.

8. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Hey, how does the Penn 230 differ from the 220GTO's?

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    You might want to ask about his Flathead Rod too. Its selling like HOT cakes.

10. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    The 220 is smaller than the 230, better balanced reel, for me anyway, own a 220 230 and 3 versions of 7000, like the 220 and the 7000 ic3 but any 7000 will work, for sure
    Jim

11. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Go get yourself a pair of Surge Elites with the Senator 112s if you are serious into Trophy Cats. You can always put the 7000’s on the MH version.

12. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    C'mon Vince He wants a good rod not a pool que with a buggy whip on the end!:wink:

13. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    YEP Be a great time, and remember that most of the company web pages will have a blow up of your reels just in case you need a diagram on any, atleast they do on Garcia's, use it several times, some of them smaller parts get hard to remember anymore:wink:

Is that what your getting us for Christmas at Cuz's weekend lead fest?:wink: :big_smile:

14. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Dan that 220 with the slammer looked like it was a pretty good set up for you last time buddy. For up at the dam, I would say you should go with the CS river rod and the 230 or another 220 (I liked the sound of that clicker:wink:) Most of your other rods seemed pretty well suited for above the dam. For up at the dam with those big weights those river rods seem to be the ticket. I believe by next spring I will have two of them for up at the dam and two elites for my neck of the woods.

15. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Dan.. I have 2... 220 gto's... they are a little smaller than the 230's.. I like the 220's better.. They are more balanced and have a killer drag.. The clicker is loud.. It will handle anything that you hook into where we fish.. It also handles the eater fish just fine also.. You'll find that you get your most distance with 6 oz of lead.. 8 to 10 oz's won't cast as far, at least not for me.. Of course distance shouldn't be a problem on your toon...

16. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    If your worried that it might be too stiff Dan you may want to get the Lake rod. It will throw up to 8 ozs. Over that and strong current the River rod will be the best.
    Gary has a River rod I know. Might run by and look at his if you can.

17. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i have 3-220s and 3- 320s all are one catfishsafari rods, they work really well. handle any thing you hook in to. you can get the 220s on sale this month at catfish connection this month

18. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Thanks for the replies you guys. Here's another one for ya. If you had to cut the cost on either the rod or the reel.... which would you cut back on? I'm not sure I'm going to have the extra money I thought I was going to.:sad2:

19. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    The rod. $55 dollar Ugly Stik Tiger took the fish in my avatar and several in the 30 - 40s out of the MO river. Take it from a guy who's spent the last 10 years installing and maintaining all kinds of equipment (and trying to break my own stuff on my days off), anything with moving parts isn't what you want to cut corners on:wink:

There are a lot of rods out there that provide good value at a reasonable cost. I'm not saying they're necesarily equal to a custom rod, but at the end of the day for the most part we're not "finesse" fishermen trying to feel a crappie nudge a jig. You want a rod that will cast and stand up to a big blue trying to pull it out of the boat. There are a lot of good, 1 piece rods out there that will keep you fishing until you can spring for the custom of your dreams. I took pride in the fact for a long time I didn't own a rod that cost over $30. Now I've kind of lost my head and will spend almost $60:big_smile: Good Luck!

Branden

20. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Great Post Branden. So true.