Need some Mississippi River info...

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Flyingpig, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Hello all,

I have a couple of questions and I don't want to seem like too much of an idiot for asking them.

My sons, and brother and I are planning a quick trip to fish on the Mississippi River for some Blues the weekend of 11/24 - 11/26 (weather permitting), and we are in need of some local help.

This will be the first time we have been on the Mississippi River with my boat and I'm really not to familiar with where to put it in at exactly, and could use a little help from anyone around this area.

Where would be the best access ramp to put a boat in on the Illinois side of the Mississippi River between the Grafton and Alton areas and do any of these ramps have launch fees?

Also if there is anyone with a boat who was interested in leading the way or just tagging along for the day they are more than welcome too.

Let me know and we'll figure a time and place to meet up at that weekend.
    Maybe even catch some fish while we are at it.

Thanks in advance, any help I can get is greatly appreciated.

Charlie

2. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    hey charles, I dont know exactly where you'll be coming from, but you said alton. alton does have a ramp at the dam. its a pulbic ramp and good fishing
    I also hear theres a ramp in grafton but not sure where. good luck and be safe out there.:big_smile:

3. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Willie, we are coming about 2 hours from the east. I'm about 10 mi. from Shelbyville. Thanks for the info.

4. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Charles... You have the ramp at Alton on the Missouri side of the river... It's still Illinois at the ramp.. No fees.. There is a ramp at the Marina in Alton above the Dam.. No fees.. 7 miles north of Alton at Piasa Creek ramp, the Power Plant is across the river and a good place for shad.. No fees.. Grafton has a public ramp but you unload boat in the current and the Ferry docks 50 ft above the ramp.. I really don't like how it's set up.. Hope this helps..

5. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Harold, Thanks for the info...The way it's looking for now is my brother and oldest and I are heading down there on 11/25. Got scheduled to work the night after Thanksgiving, so that messed up going on 11/24...Almost got a week off, if they hadn't scheduled maintenance to work the day after the holiday.

6. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    goood luck ..there have been some monsters coming out of the mississippi as of late ... 2 100+ lbers came on consecutive days in the bass pro championship in memphis,TN. so be ready to tackle that bigun

7. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    I sure hope they are still biting here in a couple of weeks...My pb is still only in the 15-20 lb. range.

8. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    They should be stacking up below the dam this time of year getting fat before winter..

9. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    over here in indiana they are scattered about ..mainly by warm water discharges where the bait fish are.