Need some Lake Monticello advice

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by martygreen, Aug 21, 2006.

1. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Hey guys,was just wondering if any of you could give some good pointers for Monty,been hearing some good reports from there and would like to give it a try,I mainly fish Marion and Wateree for catfish,I have never been on Monty,fished just about everywhere in the state but there,Anyway looking for info on the best landing and are they safe and lit up at night,would probably go during day on first trip just to check out and mark some good points on the gps and hopefully land a few,any info on the landings and some good starting points on the water would be greatly appreciated,I have a 20 ft horizon pontoon we fish off of,we prefer drifting and dont mind anchoring either,set up for either,Also have read where most of you fish with bream and shad,any luck with Herring there,again thanks in advance guys and hope see some of ya at Monty soon:big_smile:

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Marty you don't work at Whitestone SC do ya?

Use white perch or bluegill.

3. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i have fished it twice now, the first was with a fellow on here that fishes it alot. he told me sat while we were there that herring will catch alot of smaller fish during the summer. and found that to be true sun. they will bite cut herring really quick but most are small fish. all i can tell you is use large baits to stay away from the little fish. Maybe chris will help you more i know he will read this.

4. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    thanks Ronald,that is true with the bait,do you drift fish or anchor,fish humps,drops,holes or flats down there and how deep were the fish.Thomas,no i dont,I work in Rock Hill at the Hospital.Thanks again

5. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Marty, pm Chrisblue - he's been doing really well at Monty and he can prolly help you out a bunch.

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I hope to fish Monticello next Tuesday night, all night it all is well.

Marty one thing you should always remember while on Monty if the wind start up get off the water as quick as you can.

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Marty I sent you a PM.

8. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    chris,i appreciate the pm,will take that info and use it,hope to get a trip lined up in a week or so,look foward to trying some new water,thomas,thanks for the advice on the wind,as i said i dont know the lake,hard to believe it could be worse than marion or murray,i have been through some pretty bad weather on both and man it gets rough,will keep it in mind,safety is #1.

9. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Marty if chris sent you some info thats all you need to know, he knows the lake well, like i said earlier i fished with him once and learned a bunch, but that is some deep water and dont be scared to fish deep.

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Well when the winds get up its every bit as bad as lower Murray. No place to hide really, even the island aren't much help usually. If you put in at the 215 landing and the winds get up it can be hard to load up.