Need some knowledgeable opinions.

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by peewee williams, Apr 5, 2008.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I ain't a electrician.The following don't make sense to me but that don't mean it is right or wrong.Motor is capacitor start & claimed 3/4 hp.,8 amps,510 watts at 120 volt 60 cycle.These figures just don't add up to me for a 3/4 hp.motor.Am I wrong?

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    PeeWee, I think you are trying to tie the 510 watts into the supply requirements.

Think of a an electric motor as a balance scale.

The 510 watts is the output shaft rating.
    If you hook the motor to something that exceeds that 510 watts you'll have a short motor life.
    If you over motor a device it's wasted energy.

That is about as easy as I can explain it.
    Motors aren't my fortay.

3. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    What I am trying to do is find out if it is really a 3/4 horse rated motor on a Chinese 5/8 chucked drill press as it is said to be.With the chuck removed and using tapered bits the range is extremely large.It will also be used for hole saws and such.I know that I should be ashamed of myself for not trusting chinese merchandise.

I am asking in the attempt to keep from exceeding the motors ability to operate without damage.I no longer have the finer senses of smell,feel and hearing that let me know when I am starting to push the limits on power tools.I can now get a blister at times without feeling any heat.That leaves out my habit of constantly feeling any motor for heat,lugging or speed changes that I am using.I just ain't got it like I had it on my best days now when I think it is safe for me to use tools.I have never believed in or abused tools without a absolute need to or more often in a emergency when responding to such.Even then the last thing you want to do is burn up something you need in such a situation.My tools last me!As you know it is also a safety factor.Being that I often can not feel a hand shake,I often can not tell the force that I am exerting.Perhaps I need a amp meter to watch.I wonder if they have one that you could rig with plugs for in line use?

Thanks.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
  5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    As far as it being a 3/4 horse motor, I imagine it is.
    That motor with the stats you listed is a common motor.
    You see that same motor in grinders and other shop tools.

As with anything else, some motors are better then others. Depneds on the company that made it.
    Is it a UL listed motor?
    If it is, I wouldn't question the name plate rating.

6. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    If it had UL listed normal plate I would not need to ask.It has a plate that gives 120 voltage,60 cycle,1725 speed and 3/4 HP.That is it.The watts and amps come from the manual.The amps are more consistent with 1/2 HP american motors.

I just always try to know as much as I can about anything I ever use and I learn a lot from asking folk along with printed and on line info.I have used drill presses all of my life but there are folk who used them more,more kinds and have to know more.Many folk have used them all of their life and damaged them much of the time.There are few tables on old drill presses that have not been drilled into and few old motors on them that have not been abused over time.This was drilled into my head along with the fact that they can kill you.I know of a old mechanic not far from retirement getting in a hurry near quitting time and and disemboweling himself with sheet metal after safely using one for over 40 years.

I just need to be super cautious now though I have used one for many years in a general shop form of use.Drilling,tapping,hole sawing,sanding,polishing and a few intricate bolt hole patterns every now and then were about the limits of my expertese.I also occasionally used the portable magnet and clamped types as high as 100+ ft.off the ground on our fractionating towers.My levels of experience are far higher than my smarts in life.

Thanks for all of the help.

7. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    My Chineese drill press is rated as 1/2 horse 8.4 A.
    I've never had it lug down and drilled many holes with a hole saw. Some as large as 3"
    My main complaint with it is the spindle doesn't hold really well on the tapered shaft. Thats a quality issue but it does do what I ask of it without getting hot.
    As long as you don't use it as a production tool (8hrs a day) I think it would be fine.
    good luck and be careful
    just

8. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I would believe mine is about the same HP as yours.

On the spindle.Do you mean that your chuck spins or falls out?If so,I have something for you to try.Remove your chuck from your spindle.Clean well and flush the taper on your chuck with Colman lantern fluid (Naphtha) and then do it with rubbing alcohol (Isopropyle)that is at least 70% or better.Do this at least 3 times.Put a pan under your spindle and do the same with the internal taper.You may need a long Q-tip or .22 rifle cleaning tip with patches to do this.Remember to scrub,clean and flush well 3 times.The reason for this is that what the naphtha will not cut,the alcohol will.When clean and dry run a cotton Q tip or twirl some cotton on your rod and rotate it and move it up and down,all around your tapers.You are searching for a burr or possibly a piece of grit embedded in one of your tapers.The cotton will hang on most.You may need a mirror and flash light to look up in your spindle taper if you can not lay your drill press on its side.3 M Crystal Bay FINE Crocus Cloth is what you wish to polish the tapers if a bur or rust is on yours.After polishing,go through the cleaning process again.Then press in and then tap your chuck in.If this does not work,you have something improper in your tapering.I learned how to do this by watching and helping the factory men sent to install and trouble shoot their equipment in 2 different machine shops in my years as a Mechanic.I was a outside machinist at the times.The cotton was only used IF the tapers did not mesh correctly and would not hold.Mineral spirits will clean,but not dry as quick as Naphtha.

This is also a great way to clean a surface before gluing it if it will not hurt the material.Super clean means a super glued joint.

9. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Yeah the chuck falls out.
    thanks for the info
    the best to ya
    just