need some input

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfish kenny, Feb 13, 2008.

1. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Allrigh in a couple weeks we are planning on giong to Cabelas again and I gotta replace my jewel I tossed in the river but also we are giong to see if we cant get our two lill ones a pole.....I want to get them something prety kid friendly and universal for ponds or rivers,5&6 year old girls ...I aint gettin no barbie dora stuff and I want something for them to cut there teeth on that might last....although them Kitys are tough on the gear so anyone have any input/suggestions?...

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Kenny - I'm not sure how much your lookin' to spend but I feel Ugly Stiks are a good choice for kids as far as rods go. They are tough and are price friendly! :cool2:

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If the background characterization on your avatar is hanging in the girls bedroom, you don't need to worry about fishing poles. That ain't Robert Redford or whoever is popular now.

You might need to be more concerned on who they are dating. Save your money and buy a shotgun. They ought to be able to handle a 410.

Nice picture though. I got one that is a little more definitive. Will show you that one sometime.

Have a good day Brother Kenny.

John.

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i thing ugly-stix m/h catfish would be a good choice, they are under $30.00

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i realize most will disagree with me but my mother landed a 32 lb.blue on a zebco 33 and shes still fishing the same reel so i would go with a big game rod,20 bucks at wally world,and a zebco 33.then it want hurt so much when you have to upgrade.

6. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Ugly stick is the way to go.

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Am figurin 75-100 apiece,I dont want to go to crazy but I dont want to replace them for a couple years either.A first pole is like the first love..has to be special thems my babies and I tend to be a little fanatical about fishing(you all understand that dont you?)anyways fishing the Missippi tends to take its toll,Kitys are tough on gear and I have found fishing gear is gotta be tough you get what you pay for.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Kenny,I think the ugly's are good ,For reels ,I used to use the Diawa gold spincasters ,nice ,and they are good.best of all kid friendly too.

9. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois

i was going to say the same thing ugly stich rod with a zebco 33 reel cheap and easy to replace.

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Kenny for 5 and 6 year olds I agree with Johnnie and Jason, either an ugly stick or big game for a tough rod and a good ole zebco 33 to put on it for easy use for the kids.

11. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i would definately go with an ugly stick with zebco 303 on it. it will work for descent cahnnel cats as well as bluegills. plus they wont break it as easy. i have a 7 year old son and will tell you they will get bored easy so the action needs to be fast. and for some reason they like to throw rods down. lol

12. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    very true-and I hope they aint like dad and throw them in the river.

13. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    At that age it is possible so stay cheap until they want to upgrade

14. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Cabelas has a KING Kat spincast combo, around $30.00. 6'6" kingkat casting rod and a kingkat spincst reel with metal gears and mutidisc drag, spooled with 20# line. Just a thought. Good luck!