Need some ideas for boat rod holder

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by catfishing is fun, Jun 12, 2007.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    My boat is very small, its a V-hull i need some rod holders that will mount to it, incase it isnt called a V-hull, ill post a picture later........

Thanks

2. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    You are just about wide open on that.

Something in particular you are looking for?

4. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thats a perfect catfish boat look at driftmaster rod holders have bases to fit most boats and holders to suite your needs i use the 1/2" thread style in the duos just go to www.driftmaster.com good luck

5. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    thanks ill check those out

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you'll look in the library, you'll find some pvc rodholders for a boat. There are several ways to mount them, but one way not shown would be to weld a piece of angle iron to a big C-clamp, then mount the rodholder onto the angle iron. That would let you mount the rodholders anywhere you want, and easily change the location if needed.

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My favorite rod holders (and I have "real" and more expensive ones now) are sections of PVC tubing screwed to the boat. You could easily attack a couple of them to the transom. If you want something on the sides, though, that's a bit more difficult - I have a policy of not ever putting holes in a boats hull unless it is absolutely necessary. You could glue blocks of 2x4 to the sides where you want the holders with super duper adhesive (there's some stuff called Marine 5200, I think, that's incredibly strong, or good 2 part epoxy might be almost as good) and then screw the PVC to the 2x4.

Anyway, the way to make the holders is simple:
    Cut the PVC as long as you want it and drill 2 fairly large hole2 (like 3/8 or 1/2") in one side. Then, on the side of the tube opposite the large holes, drill 2 small holes just big enough to screw through. The big hole is for screwdriver access, so you can screw through the other side (basically from the inside of the tubing out). I did mine extending a few inches above the gunwhales and then used a dremmel with a grinding cylander to cut notches in the tubing to fit either the bas of a spinning reel or the trigger on a baitcasting rod, to hold the rod facing the right way.