Need some ideas Bow Light

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by justwannano, Jul 29, 2007.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Wanting to install a bow light on my 1970 polarcraft 14' jon boat.
    Square front.
    Not enough room on the narrow front ledge for the teardrop shaped light so I need to build some sort of platform. Don't want much more weight as she is pretty heavy now.
    I once had a couple of doors mounted to a 2X4 frame I made that created an enclosed "well" where I stored my trot line boxes.
    It made it pretty heavy up front. I'm thinking thats impractical now since I now steer from the right center of the boat.
    any ideas?

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i just bought a battery powered one from wal-mart. it comes with a mounting kit.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You may want to look into a bow light fashioned along the lines of the all around white light. Normally, you can remove the white light pole and store it in the boat. It is not in the way (usually) and when you need your white light, it's easy to stick it in the socket and have the light. I believe they make them like that for the front of the boat also...except they are red and green. You must remember they are to be visible for two miles, and I doubt those battery powered lights will cut the mustard. With a mount on the front of your boat, it would be easy to remove the lights so you can crawl in and out without damaging them. Also, if your configured like a bass boat and have a trolling motor bracket on the front of the boat, the side of the boat the bracket is on normally violates the coast guard rule as to how many degrees the light must be visible. You can either remove the bracket, or raise the lights so they shine over the bracket. At this point, before you get started, you will probably save money to figure out exactly what you want and how you can get it before you spend the first penny.