Need Some Honest Personal Opinion's- Will 200+lb catfish ever been in the USA?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by redneckdrum, Jan 23, 2006.

1. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    This morning i was Googling looking for big catfish.In thailand,a 646lb.Mekong catfish was caught there and as we all know,the Wells Catfish can exceed 250lb.easy.My question is,'do you think cats of 200lb.+size still exist in U.S. waters today? ..........By the way,does anyone know of the biggest catfish caught in America waters?(date,weight,location)

2. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

I think there are a couple,not many!I think a lake like Toledo Bend or Livingston might have one,here in Texas.Texoma maybe!
    Ernie

3. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Id say years ago their would have been a whole bunch to exceed that. But of course with over fishing, dumping things into the rivers and lakes disturbing natural habitat and people that don't cpr, I would have to say not many. But I would think that some of the deepest and hard to get to lakes or river systems would hold a few.

4. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    i think there is some 200pounders out there in the older lakes and rivers the only thing is they didnt get that big from being stupid so catching them we have alot to learn about

5. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    As many big cats as there are, it's not likely anyone has caught the biggest one. The chances of that would be like winning the powerball.

A 112 lb. blue was caught near here a couple of years ago. I'll bet there are some over 150 pounds swimming within 10 miles of me right now.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Interesting you should ask.In the new edition of In-Fisherman there is a blurb on page 18 about a man who is going in search of the "Catfish as big as Volkwagons seen by divers working on the dam" legend.He is actually going to conduct dives in various areas of the country to see what he can find.It will be published in the 2007 Catfish Insider Guide.Should be interesting.Personally I DO think there are a few fish that big remaining and hopefully one is in Ohio because I would love to see a video of Mellon water skiing behind a 200 lb blue.Rod crosswise in his hands while he screams "Whoa Baby" or even better "Get the net Jack"!!!!!!:p

7. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    now i know why we CPR the buggin's.If we did land that 200+ nobody would believe us

8. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    no. 150 maybe but i doubt a 200 pounder.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Well, you can't limit your looking to rod & reel records, because the biggest cats have been caught by 'unconventional' or 'other' methods, and records haven't been kept on those till pretty recently. And people fishing using those methods don't always report or weigh their catch. Nevertheless, I think I remember seeing where a 147# cat was recently caught on a trotline or in a net--don't remember which. It's not that big a jump to 200#, especially when you think about the problems of landing a really big cat in certain places. One of my 'honeyholes' is a patch of standing and submerged timber in about 15' of water. The chances of landing a 20# cat here on rod & reel are slim. I used to run several trotlines in this area, and several 10# cats on the line often got it snagged. After all, fishing with parachute cord spooled on a 1000# winch doesn't do any good if the fish wraps the line around a tree the size of a telephone pole. No, I don't really believe that there are any 200# cats in that particular spot, but if there was one, I don't think that it's possible to catch it. I know of a spot on a creek just off the Arkansas River that's just as impossible to get a large fish out of. There are so many logs and stumps that it's impossible to get a small jonboat from the river up the creek to that spot. Food and age are the only limitations on the size of a fish in this spot. I never heard of anyone even talking about this spot, much less fishing it, and I lived nearby from 1983 to 1990; my wife was kin to half the people living around there, so I got pretty much all the inside dope.
    Yes, I definitely believe that there are 200# catfish existing today in the USA.

10. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    I'd have to see it to beleive it! The biggest cat I can find on record here in east TN is a 150lb or so flathead out of Ft Loudon lake. It was caught years ago by a commercial fisherman in a hoop net. Commercial fisherman catch 100-120lbers each year around here, if there were 200lbers they would have gotten one by now.

11. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Nah, at one time there might have been cats that would be the 200# mark, but not anymore. You hear of tales of the Indians spearing paddlefish that weighed around 500# and Mark Twain seeing a cat that weighed 250 and I believe that at one time it was possible. Now days though there is a lot of fishing pressure and a lot more fishermen, including commercial fishermen. I don't really think that there will be a 200# cat caught in the U.S. anytime soon. Although I think that it would be possible if there was less fishing pressure and cleaner waters. Vern

12. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I think and really believe that there fish of that size, I really believe that we have them swimming in the Kansas & Missouri areas.

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    that would be a sight to see :D i wonder sometimes about those reports of 250+ lb fish, wonder if they weighed them or not. that big blue caught in texas looked about the same size as a 250lb person. those weight reports could have been a sight comparison.

14. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    LMAO!

Jim that was funny!

15. Carwash

Carwash New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I think 200 is wishing but very good chance of 150 maybe 165 but 200 is probably asking too much. As far as the big one's being seen by drivers, I have a hard time with that. We heard the same thing at our dam but no one has ever made it past a 100. There are other species of catfish around the globe that get very large, Asia and Braizil have some very large one's, past 500lbs. I tried Brazil but couldn't get past 210 and thats one hell of a fish. Anything is possible, there might be and old one somewhere just hanging around, if so, not many.

16. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    From a biological view, there is a limit to how big an animal of a certain species can grow. This is because of organ function and bone/muscular structure. An animal must be not only live long enough to attain the weight, but also be able to be able to move to find food. Unlike an obese person of 600 pounds that is confined to a bed and relies on family to bring them food, a fish has to do the shopping all by itself!! There is a point at which the muscular and skeletal structure of the animal will not allow it to move.

Going from 150 to 200 is a significant increase in weight. I doubt you will see an American species of catfish hit that weight.

Hopefully I am wrong, and I hope one of the folks here proves me wrong by catching it!!

17. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    my uncle here in tn works at the summner county steam plant he says he has seen catfish big as volks wagons roll over somwhere round that area he wont say tho id say that there is more then likly that big of fish probly plenty of them u just got to find the hole and get it in there mouth

18. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I can hear him too Jim
    Screaming your toast now Jack!!!!!!:D

19. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    I know there definitely have been 200+lbers. Mark Twain recorded various accounts of giant 200+lb. catfish being caught on the Mississippi. As for today.....there are bunches of factors which must be present-food available, above ideal water conditions, extremely low fishing pressure, etc. With all the garbage people put out today, and fshing pressure, you'd be hard pressed to find a 200+lber.

20. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    I have read a lot on this subject and every study suggest that there will probably never be a 200lb+ cat caught in the US waters. While the possiblility of the existing is there, there are few if any cats that size left and the chances of one being caught is slim and none.