Need some help

Discussion in 'Boating' started by turnerchop5, Dec 27, 2008.

1. turnerchop5

turnerchop5 Member

State:
    ky
    First posting on the Brother hood. Recently bought a 94 deep v tracker. Water pump needed some work, did that. Motor fires up fine and idles great. Now it won't go into gear. Any help would be nice. 40 Merc Outboard. Thanks

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    first off welcome to the site, lots of great info on here and people willing ta help, with the going into gear thing, mine wouldn't go into gear one time on a trip and i found that a screw came off my starter and got between the linkage, it took me a good half hour ta figure that solution out but once i removed the screw i was off and running, also besides checkin the linkage make sure its tight, another time mine came loose and i lost reverse (i have a 40 hp mariner), but sounds ta me it has something ta do with the linkage, thats where i'd look first

3. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    welcome to the board Nick. So we can assume that you dropped the lower unit to replace the pump, if so you may not have replaced the shifting linkage correctly when reinstalling the lower unit. a better place for this post would be in the outboard repair section, im sure ol bubba can help ya out

4. catfish10101

catfish10101 New Member

State:
    Des Allemands,
    On many outboards, the shift lever must be in a certain position during reassembly. Best bet is to call an outboard mechanic or buy the book for your motor to find out how to do it correctly, then take it down again and follow the instructions. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.:big_smile:

5. turnerchop5

turnerchop5 Member

State:
    ky
    Thanks fellows for the advice. Planning on getting a book and back at it Sat.