Need Some help

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by thegavel, Apr 20, 2008.

1. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    hey guys,

I am asking for some help, advice maybe...

I recently shattered my ankle and was going to buy a new boat this year, however the funds went to medical bills instead...

Either way...

I am looking for a CHEAP working 6hp to go with the boat I have... Something will be better then nothing..

Any ideas? Anyone got one sitting around?

2. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I was going to tell you to search craigslist.com but I see you have already posted a WTB add. I will look in the local add papers and let you know if I find anything. Good luck.

Phil

I just wish I had a boat.

3. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Yep, Thats my post... LOL

There is one on there for $350 but that is a little steep for me, especially right now...

4. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    If you expect to pay less than 350 for a dependable motor you better get out the oars bud! :wink:

5. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Yeah, I am sure I am going to get what I pay for, however I guess I am at a point in my life that I would do a little work to save a dollar, especially since my medical expenses from the accident are coming in...

Perhaps it is bad timing, but if I can buy a 40 hp for 350 why would I want to buy a 6hp for the same? I guess I don't know much about boat motors, but I am using logic...

Perhaps I should just sell my boat and use the money to buy a new one with a motor already on it? It's an idea anyhow...

6. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Thanks Mike, I actually just bought a 6hp Johnson last night... Needs minor work, but for 150.00 I think I can spend an extra couple dollars and get it all shined up!!!

:roll_eyes:

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I'm guessing someone will take care of you. Good luck betting back on your feet

8. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa

Hey Chris,

been a while. Anyway, theres a guy down in Oskaloosa, whos really good with outboards and reasonably priced too. let me know if you want to take it to him, and I'll get his name for ya. I bought a 9.9 Johnson from him a couple yrs ago for a jonbaot I had. I think I payed like $250 for it and it ran like a top. He even took a tradein on an old motor I had, come to think of it.

9. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Stan - It has been a long time bro... How you been?

That is great info to know... I had it started for a brief minute today...

So far I have 200.00 wrapped up in this "project" LOL it looks like a great motor minus a few details. I am going to work on it again tomorrow morning and maybe hit a junk yard looking for the pieces I need...

10. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Update... Not even sure if anyone reads this or not.... but.....

Got the motor running today... runs solid... but she sure does smoke good! man o man...

11. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Yup, still checking in on ya. Glad you found a motor.

That'll help keep the mosquitos away this summer.

12. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Well, I ordered a few parts for the motor, got them in, assembled the whole thing after cleaning it up... Now... all I need to do is water test it!