Need some help

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by amatuer cat catcher, Mar 18, 2007.

1. amatuer cat catcher

amatuer cat catcher New Member

State:
    NC
    In 13 days i am going to fripp island SC for spring break. I told my parents i would go as long as i could fish. The problem is i know nothing about salt water fishing and i know little about the terrain. It says that their are alot of fishable marshes in the area and im sure there are a few piers. The problem is i have no idea what to use to fish with i have a heavy enough rod but i need help with bait so i you could help me out that would be great thanks!!:big_smile:

P.S. I went to santee cooper a few months ago and my guide spoke of a fish that he explained as a huge saltwater bluegill on steroids lol any idea what kind of fish he was talking about??

thanks ACC

2. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    GOODLCK AND HAVE FUN

3. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    James, I'd suggest that you check with a local baitshop. See what's biting this time of year and what their biting. If you fish a part of a marsh that has "current" (a narrower spot where tidal current is strongest) then you can fish it as you would a river. A three way rig has worked well for me fishing for flounder. Be sure that you clean your rod especially the metal eyes, and your reel after using them in salt water. Good luck.

4. Techno2000

Techno2000 New Member

State:
    New Orleans,LA
    Just use fresh shrimp and fish like you do for cats. A float for the top,
    a 3-way for bottom, I have been having very good luck with a small #8treble hook (break shrimp in half )on a
    fish-finder rig, let them take the line out and swallow the hook, just cut your
    leader off, bring plenty of hooks for this. For the 3-way and float, use a 3\0 to4\0 kahle hook and shrimp
    you need to find out how much current there will be, where you will be fishing,
    to know how much lead to use.

5. Techno2000

Techno2000 New Member

State:
    New Orleans,LA
  6. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    any time that i've gone i've either surf rod fished or peir fished... i do both pretty much the same... i always bottom fish as it is easier on the shore to do so, use plenty of weight... i always use shrimp and squid as bait... hope this helps... good luck

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Yea, he is talking about a sheepshead. Best place to fish for those is rock jetties and bridge pilings using whole fiddler crab or sand fleas.
    Steroids is right. they will tear up some fishing tackle until you get the hang of it and learn the light bite.

I'm not familiar at all with the area. I'd hit a baitshop and ask.
    But you should be able to get into some puppy drum in the marshes using lures or cut mullet.

8. SanteeCooperKat

SanteeCooperKat New Member

State:
    PA/SC
    Yes agreed, Sheepshead put of a heck of a fight, somewhat reminiscent of a Hybrid Striped Bass, only in Brackish or Saltwater.

9. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    There should be some cow stripers in that area still cause from what I gather the giants havent hit Jersey yet.

10. Shark

Shark Member

State:
    North Carolina
    talk to the local bait shops and some of the local people there usually really helpful