Need some help

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by matt_k_a, Oct 16, 2006.

1. matt_k_a

matt_k_a New Member

State:
    texas
  2. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    Well it looks fine to me, but it really depends om the line size and capacity. If I were getting it for catfishing, it would have to at least hold 20# test and 150-200 yards of it.

3. matt_k_a

matt_k_a New Member

State:
    texas
    it's prespooled with 14 pound mono

4. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i had one about 15 yrs ago n loved it for bass fishin. was a very smooth casting reel. it didnt last long though, the thumbbar busted and i couldnt use it anymore. last year i pulled it outta storage to fix it and the tackle repair place said that it was a throw away cause they dont make em anymore, and you cant find parts for em. i would research it. i think they were made by zebco.

5. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    for catfishing, i wouldnt buy any of those.

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
  7. matt_k_a

matt_k_a New Member

State:
    texas
    I was getting one of the ones I was getting because I don't have the money for anything else

8. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    theres no reason one of those wont do the job, its just for catfish of any size, you'll need more reel. the important thing is that you have a rod with some backbone to take the pressure off those smaller reels.
    now if i had to choose between the 5 you show, i guess the shakespeare probably looks like the best. however, theres no way to tell just what the price will be when the auction closes in 5 days and with shipping costs its already at $13. BTW, I think you can pick up a catstik spinning combo by shakespeare at acadamy for around $20. happy fishin no matter what you decide.

9. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    Before I got any of them, and like someone has already said, I would go to wally world and get a closed face Tiger Cast Combo. It comes on a heck of a good cat rod, and I landed 20+ fish with mine. That will hold you over til you can get what you want. By time yyou pat shiping and the cost of the reel you could have bought one and some terminal tackle.

10. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    thats what i would advise also.

11. matt_k_a

matt_k_a New Member

State:
    texas
    I have a 9' surf rod with a lure weight of 15-30 pounds but I dont have the money for a good reel.

12. Styx

Styx New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would agree with the wally world Tiger Cast Combo for $20.00. I have 5 of them and this past season I caught 2 40lb's, a 35lb several in the range of 20's with no problem at all. Just make sure you learn how to use the drag and bait clicker. You can't go wrong for $20 bucks.