Need some help with River fishing...

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by JustinGarner, May 8, 2009.

1. JustinGarner

JustinGarner New Member

State:
    Topeka, KS
    So I've been thinking about hitting up the Kaw before I head back overseas on the 18th and am just wondering...how does one go about fishing (from the bank) a river? The wifey won't allow us to go unless I know what I'm doing. So any help out there?

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    What stretch of the Kaw are you thinking of fishing?

3. JustinGarner

JustinGarner New Member

State:
    Topeka, KS
    Somewhere in/near Topeka.

4. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    You can hit the weir in Topeka, it gets lot of pressure from people but some nice ones are still pulled from that area.

What kinda help are you looking for?

5. JustinGarner

JustinGarner New Member

State:
    Topeka, KS
    Well I've never really been river fishing before. I'm not sure if what the differences are. Should we be upstream and cast down, should we be using a bigger sinker, should we be using bigger hooks, etc. Any type of help would be nice.

Where's the wier?

6. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Leave the wife home, lol :wink::tounge_out::smile2:. That was a joke and good luck.

7. JustinGarner

JustinGarner New Member

State:
    Topeka, KS

HA! So far the wife's having better luck than I am!!!:crazy::embarrassed_2::confused2:

8. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    I'm no great expert on river fishing, but here are a few suggestions to make
    your wife feel better: use a no-roll sinker rig with a bigger swivel than you
    think you need, cast downstream of where you set up near a current break
    if possible(that is a visable seam or wave pattern where fast water meets
    slower water), try going with someone familiar with where the underwater
    junk is and hook cut bait through just once so it can flop around a bit.
    Oh, use a heavier mono leader than the main line but keep it short
    especially if you are fishing fast current. If you are in an eddy, this matters
    less of course. Use a small bobber an inch or two above the hook on the
    leader if you want the bait to ride a little above the bottom. Makes it a
    little easier to find and it tends to wave around a little. Change baits
    about once every 20 minutes or so. The Juices tend to wash out faster
    in flowing water. Wait thirty minutes to check a live bait like a perch.

9. JustinGarner

JustinGarner New Member

State:
    Topeka, KS
    Thank you all SO MUCH for that help!!! I normally run 20 lb Cajun line, and I have some 30 lb Stren I could tie on with. How much weight (sinker) should I use? I've got 1 oz. sinkers, but I also have this massive 10 oz. one. What size hooks should I be using? Normally I run 5/0 Team Catfish circles, but I have up to 13/0's as well. I'm not a big fan of trebles...thanks Erik:wink:

BTW: What is a "no-roll" sinker rig? And what exactly is an "eddy"?

10. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    hey bud a no roll is just that a flat sinker that doesnt roll down river and a eddy is the slack water or back of a up river dike :tounge_out: hope that helps

11. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    I am no expert by any means--but for me, the hook size depends on what I am targeting. I go 5/0-7/0 for channels (got them up to 12 lbs on a 5/0) and then I upsize for a flathead---the guys around here are all recommending 8/0 and I pretty much go with that, though I have heard of guys going up to your 13/0. Probably depends on the size of the bait as well---for live bluegills or sunnies, I go for at least an 8/0. Chunks of cut bait i fill up the hook and leave the point exposed---just try not to fill up the gap too much.

I think the current really dictates the sinker size. I personally use anywhere from 3oz up to 6oz----3oz when it is calm, but 6oz when it is ripping more---even then, I do not hold bottom all the time (maybe upsize to 8oz??).

The no-roll sinker is, like mentioned before, is a flat, disk type sinker that will lay flat on the bottom and not roll like an egg-type will. I pretty much rig a carolina rig type---sinker on the main line, plastic bead, tie to swivel (usually 1/0 size), which is tied to a 18"-24" leader and then a snelled hook.
    You can find no-roll sinkers on eBay---or at this place, where I order all my sinkers (http://www.atoztackleshop.com/). Since you are heading out on the 18th, I could mail you some no-rolls to try out---just PM me and we can work something out. I got a ton and would just ask for shipping cost.

An eddy, i think, is a place in the river where there is a current break and the current just kind of swirls around in a little pool, off of the main current.

Other more experienced guys probably have more and better advice, but this is my approach (I would love to hear others as well).

Good luck---and good fishing :cool2:

12. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    The other guys got it right! A no-roll is a flattened tear-drop shape with
    a small diameter hole cast into the lead along its longest axis. It lies flat
    on the bottom, the smaller end up line and up current with the main line
    passing through its center. Best to have a bead below the sinker to
    protect the knot tied to the barrel swivel. This keeps the sinker from
    sliding down too far, the knot tends to hide inside of the bead. Go for
    3 to 5oz in most rivers around here, 10 oz. for a really big river. An eddy
    is a relatively slow patch of water just off of the main stream of the
    river. The eddy is usually behind some form of current break like a wing
    dam or a big log jam. Fish tend to hang in the slower water to rest and
    watch the faster water nearby to see what the river brings them.

13. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I am so glad to and for the BOC just for info like this. Thanks fella's!!!

14. JustinGarner

JustinGarner New Member

State:
    Topeka, KS

AMEN!!!:big_smile:

15. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Sorry I did not get back with you before today.

The Weir is just North of the Water Treatment plant in Topeka.

Take 75 North top Lower Silver Lake Rd. then when on Lower Silver Lake heading east turn south to Gage. Then turn and head back to the east on 16th this will loop you right to the small gravel road and the parking to the Weir. Once there just follow the path over the dike down to the water.

16. Riley498

Riley498 New Member

State:
    Kansas - Parsons
  17. IBEW_124_BROTHER

IBEW_124_BROTHER New Member

State:
    MO
    Heavy tackle and gear! Never be under gunned when fishing any med to large river. Ive seen alot of lost fish and broken hearts on both the Kaw and the MO because guys go out with their pond tackle.

18. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I dont have any new info that someone else hasn't already given. I use the K.I.S.S. method. I use the same setup on the river that I do on the lake. All I change is weight size. choose the weight size by how much it takes to hold the place you want in the place your fishing. some places on the river take 2oz some take 8oz, and thats just behind the dikes.

I stick to 7/0 hooks, I've heard somewhere that its kind of a universal size because you can catch the eaters and still hook up with the big ones.
    Others will tell you size your hook to the bait your using. The main thing is to just get out and fish and see what works for you.

19. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    sheet i could use some help river fishing. i usually will average a fish an hr once the bite starts up for the year but so far ive only had one day like that this year and of course i had to go home and couldnt fish verry long. i went last night 4-5 hrs 1 fish 3# channel that i ended up taking home. im thinking the fish got other things to do rather than eat cause this fish ended up being full of eggs:sad2: the one fish i take home this year and its full of eggs:embarassed:

20. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I'm a relative newbie to river fishing. Find somebody that knows what they are doing and grovel and beg till they take you out.Before I found this website I was paying a guide like Catdaddy or Captain Catfish.If you do con somebody into taking you pay for their gas and don't be afraid to pimp 'em for information. There is no right or wrong way to do things.Everybody has little things they do well.Go out with as many people as you can. There's no subtitute for getting out there as often as possible.Repetition is the best way to get good at something.As Nike says "Just Do It".Be persistent don't give up. It took me 2 years to catch a decent Blue cat the one in my avatar. It wasn't my fault. But my buddy Dennis knows what he's doing. Until that night we had been out 5 or 6 times and hadn't caught a single flathead or blue cat. We did catch a bunch of channel cats though.Maybe just dumb luck.