Need some help with my rigs

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catman849, Feb 20, 2007.

1. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    The place that i fish is only about 5-6ft deep and i fish my spinning reels on the bottom with an open bail and my baitcasters with bobbers, but a lot of times the cats feel the resistance of the bobbers and the reel and let go, any tips on how i could fish still using a bobber but give the fish less resistance?? Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Balance the bobber by putting enough weight on until all but the very top of the float is below the surface. ( almost neutral buoyancy ) The only other way I can think of at this time is to hold the rod and keep a tight line, then you can set the hook as soon as the float starts under. Would help if we knew what type and size of float.

3. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Its fairly big its about the size of a golf ball and has a plastic stick throught it.

4. surfchunker

surfchunker New Member

State:
    maryland
    with weighing it down ... my cousin taught me that trout fishing ... :cool2:

5. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Harrison TN
    Name:
    Eric Maurer
    If you are using large baits, the smaller catfish will worry them without being able to do much other than grab a corner and move it around, even taking the float under, making it look like a light bite that is dropped. Smaller drum will act the same. I have trouble believing that the bigger cats are bothered much by the resistance of the float - many of us use 2 to 5 oz sinkers in our applications and don't have too much trouble with fish refusing the bait. If these fish are really being touchy, weighting the float as described above works well. I personally also like a quill-type float that is long on the top and bottom. It is much more sensitive to light bites. I'd try downsizing the bait when you run into this and see if it is small fish doing this to you. Good fishing!

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    U might try 1 oz of weights, or something a little smaller than 1 oz.

7. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    try using the rig in photo #1 with what ever sized circle hook you'd like.
    take your clip on float and attach it like in photo #2
    place rod in a pair of forked sticks or a rod holder like the one in photo #3
    now this whole setup should allow you to hook 90% of your bites and all you'd have to do is close the bail and reel up.
    hope this helps.

Attached Files:

8. surfchunker

surfchunker New Member

State:
    maryland
    but lately I keep a piece of aluminum foil in my box and take a strip and fold it several times then bend it in a vee shape and hang that over the line like the bobbler ... the light at night realy lights it up ... or I just wrap it around the rod tip ... it pops right off without getting in your way ... tear another piece when needed .... Cheap and easy ... gum wrappers and cig foil works too ...

marks fish finder rig works great too ...

9. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I agree try downsizing the bait and hooks. Another thing is try live minnows the fish seem to hit live bait harder.

10. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    the catfish that I'm talkin about are bullheads that are about 1.5lbs on average with the occasional channel from 5-10lbs. and i do use live bait a lot mostly green sunfish about 1.5 inches long. I think what i am going to do is probably downsize the bobbers and the weights.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    For fish that small, I would use a 5 or 6 in bobber with some slip shots for weight.

12. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Ben, I agree with Eric. I find it hard to believe that the float is bothering the cats. Are you sure that is what is letting go of your bait.Get rid of the float and fish on the bottom. They will find it...

13. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Well a buddy of mine has a pet bullhead catfish that is the same size as the ones that we catch at the pond so one day we put in some fish food attach to a some line and and a bobber and the fish puilled down on the bait and instantly let go and then sat there and started nibbling on the bait but wouldnt eat it.

14. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Yes they peck alot. I'd try livers and a timely hook-set.

Opinion

:smile2: