Need some help with motor advice

Discussion in 'Boating' started by o'boro cat hunter, Jan 8, 2009.

1. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Found a nice boat has a 50 h/p Mercury Force in great condition.Is this a good motor.Any help would be great.Thanks

2. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    merc is a good engine, that an evinrude are my 2 top choices. but what size boat is it, is th 50 hs big enought to push it?

3. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have absolutely no experience with force motors, so take this opinion for what its worth.....

Most people will tell you they are junk and run from em. Have had several people tell me they're cheaper made and hard to get parts for. Like I said, take that with a grain of salt bc I have no personal experience with em. That said, I think you may have problems if you buy it and then try to sell it down the road.

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    sorry i havent called you back arron .. i am having phone issues right now. but if the deal falls thru on that one i still have mine. and i should have a new phone in the morning sometime..

5. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    I dont beleive Mercury and Force were ever togther ,,,the Chrysler name was changed to Force in the earlt 80s when Bayliner boats first came out targeting the first time boaters at a base - budget priced boat for the beginer just to get into the boating world. they were basicly a omc crossflow engine that got a bad reputation from brand new boaters that had NO eperience at boating and outboard maintnance,, therfore when the "new" boaters NEVER did any routin maintnance to there outboard they simply blamed it on the engine itself , therore the bad reputation... Its kinda like blaming the pencel for bad spelling:smile2:

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Mercury and force were hooked together at one time. As for the force some of the smaller ones were in fact pretty good motors. I would not have a force engine if some one gave it to me. The force engine did to mercury what the fitch engine did to OMC

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Not sure where they started out, but at one time they were West Bend (that's right...the small appliance people), then Chrysler, Bayliner/U S Boat, and Brunswick/Merc took a shot.

Rodney Dangerfield with a lower unit.

8. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    A friend of mine owns a Force motor that seems to do just fine after all these years with ordinary maintenance. He tells me that Mercury aquired Force and made an attempt to faze it out of production and pretty well accomplished it, but somehow the federal government got involved and made them start making replacement parts available for them again. He's been getting parts fairly easily lately, so I guess what he says must have some merit, but I don't think he's getting his parts from a single source.

9. jimmy willaby

jimmy willaby New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I bought a new 21 ft. Tracker pontoon boat in 1995 and yes it has a 40 h.p. Force on it . I live on the lake and use it a lot and no I have never had any trouble with it .
    Parts , you can get them in Texas at any good boat dealer.

10. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    And bought it,really good deal I thought $1000.looks good,new seats ,trailor in great shape all lights work,all electrical on boat good, new garmin fishfinder, lots of extras.I know not really a fishing boat but with a few pole holders,trolling motor and a few skipjack me and my boy are back on the Mighty Ohio chasing those Blues.And yes it has a 1985 50hp Force seems to run great,but some of these comments have me alittle worried. Tell me what you think. Thanks Aaron

Attached Files:

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Looks like a steal, to me. Besides, for $1000, you can't get beat up too bad.

There's quite a bit of info on the web on those motors, and parts seem to be in decent supply.

Replace the water pump, before you do anything else.

12. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve Well-Known Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    Sharp looking boat I don't see how you could of went wrong.:wink:

13. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    I sure hope you wore a mask when you picked it up. you stole that boat! your right that was a smoking deal! good luck with it.