Need Some Help with Lake Michigan

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by floundahman, Jun 2, 2009.

1. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I'm vacationing at my in-laws' in Warren the last week of June. I'll be bringing my boat. I'm looking to fish Lake Michigan while I'm there, but I've never fished up there before. What should I fish for? Where? And with what? It doesn't appear that there are many BOC members there in Michigan. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan

3. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Jim-
    Warren is a long drive from Lake Michigan, especially pulling a boat. Unless your objective is to spend as much time as possible away from your in-laws, you might try Lake St. Claire or something else nearby.

4. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Tony, I looked at a sattelite view of Lake St. Claire. How's the fishing? What should I target?

5. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Check the link GR_Cat gave you below, it will be under Southeast Michigan I think. Never been there myself, but I hear of Muskies, pike, walleyes, smallmouth.
    Look up a baitshop, or go to a Gander Mountain or Bass Pro in the area & ask the guys there what's hitting.
    Wish I could help more, but that's a long way from where I fish.
    Good luck, and enjoy your stay in Michigan!

6. Northstar

Northstar New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Jim, The fishing on the east side of state is better than the west. Unless your looking for salmon or trout. Warren is right between the two best walleye fisheries on the planet. Saginaw Bay to the north and Lake Erie to the south. The numbers of fish are great and there easy to catch. Lake St. Clair is also great fishing. I go there every year for the fishing. The muskey fishing is second to none. Not sure what kind of boat you have. But these lakes are big and can get real rough in a hurry. Make sure you watch the weather befor you go out if your going to venture far from port. I almost put a 17 foot deep v on the bottom so St. Clair a few years back and I had watched the weather.

7. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Thanks Hugh. I would really love to catch some walleye. I have a small boat 14' v-hull jonboat with a 3.3hp motor. I would be happy fishing tributaries and settle for smaller fish. I'm not interested in getting myself in trouble on the off-chance that I'd catch a lunker.