Need some help with buying a boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by MilwaukeeCatHunter, Mar 27, 2006.

1. MilwaukeeCatHunter

MilwaukeeCatHunter New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I want to buy a small 14 foot basic boat for river fishing, sometimes in shallower water. I am set on getting a 9.9 hp short shaft Mercury four stroke. Should I consider a V hull or would a square hull/jon boat be better. I probably would not take the boat out on bigger lakes, mostly rivers and smaller lakes. Do the jon boats have a harder time in choppy water with bigger waves?

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Dave, the jon will ride a little rougher than the v-hull especially on choppy water. I have a semi-v in 14 foot and it will "cut" a wave or a boat wake fairly well. My semi-v will run in about the same depth of water as a jon. Which is about a foot and a half of water. The jon will give you a little more room than the v-hull. The only downfall to either one is they can get a little small on big water. If you are planning on fishing by yourself most of the time either should be fine. If I was going to fish with another person or maybe more most of the time I would go with a sixteen. Just my two cents. Vern

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The v boats take the chops better and are steady in the water but they are harder to push. I wouldn't be afraid to use a 14 footer in area lakes. A 9.9 four stroke will do you good on either boat.

4. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    yep if it gets choppy your in for a ruff ride..

I burrowed my bro-in-laws jon i got a little windy when we were on the mississippi it nearly beat the crap outta us, we all ended up in the cyro getting our backs back into joint. I then bought a jon boat of my own bout 4 years ago it has a coast guard bow on it. It seems to be a little better than the reg jon cuts thro the waves.

5. MilwaukeeCatHunter

State:
    Wisconsin
    I've got two kids, ages 4 and 5 right now. Both showing an interest in fishing, so they will probably be with me on the water on a regular basis. I should probably take the advice and go for a minimum of a 16 footer right away, otherwise, I am going to have to trade in the smaller boat when the kids get bigger? Now, bigger boat means a little bigger motor. I want to keep the costs to a minimum, so any recommendation on boat size vs. motor size to get me started?

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yep a good 18 footer with a 20 or 25 h/p motor of your choice. This way you will have plenty of room and no reason to get the 2 foot ituse down the road.:)

7. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    You've heard some good advice bro,how bout a little research on boaters ed and search this topic in the library along with what is needed in a boat(first aid kit,flashlight ect).Have fun shoppin bro!:cool:

8. MilwaukeeCatHunter

State:
    Wisconsin
    You read my mind, I was diggin the the library lookin for more. I will have fun shoppin' too...got the wife on board with this one, so it should be smooth sailing.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The jon boat will be more stable--it will rock less than a V-bottom, but will pound the fillings out of your teeth in rough water, and get you wet from the spray as well. Nevertheless, I much prefer a flatbottom for my fishing. It's amazing how much more room and safety you'd have with a 16' than a 14'. Also, a flatbottom boat will plane at lower speed than a V-bottom, requiring less horsepower. Also, if you can afford it, go for a boat that's wider than 36" (standard) across the bottom. Again, more room, stability, and safety.
    I don't know about the 4 strokes, but when I bought a 2 stroke back in the late 80s, the only difference between a 9.9hp and a 15hp Mariner was the carburetor. Same weight for each. I opted for the 15hp, and never regretted it. For one thing, if you have enough horsepower to back off from full throttle, you save both engine life and gas; but, if you need the extra horsepower, it's available. That extra horsepower can be very helpful getting a boat up on plane sometimes.

10. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Milwaukeecathunter, Remember that skiffs and jon boats should only be used in sheltered waters. Personally, I am offshore at times that is why I went with an 18' center console 90 outboard V hull. All it took was test driving a skiff (flatbottom) one day and it was choppy and it rattled my head! They are great for shallow water with their low draft and stability (especially the carolina skiff) but they will beat you if you cruise over 10 knots. If you go with a V hull your wife and kids will thank you! A lot more comfortable! One good guideline in selecting a boat is how you will use it. Make certain that the boat you intend to buy matches your intended use. A good site for you and your wife to look at is www.uscgboating.org :) Happy boating!

11. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
  12. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    If you are going to have kids in the boat, get the widest beam you can. Kids have a habit of being all over the place, the wider beam will lessen the chance of rolling. My boat is a Grizzly made by Tracker. It is 16.5 feet long with a 80" beam. Very stable.

13. MilwaukeeCatHunter

State:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for all the input, and the websites. It will help me make a more informed decision.

14. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I started with w 14' tri-hull w/ a 15 Merc. Loved it, but man was it small. The 15 pushed great eventhough the boat was glass and therefore heavier than aluminum. I now have a 16.5' mod-V w/ a 50/35 jet. As stated before, the 2' makes a huge difference. I can take 3 comfortably in the new boat when 3 was a tight squeeze in the old boat.

As for a jon vs. a V. If you're on shallow water, I would look jon vs. mod-V. They'll both draft pretty shallow. The jon will be wider along the floor allowing for more walk around room. As for stability, I have no problem w/ my mod-v. Depending on how shallow you're going to run, you might want to think about a jet drive. On my first boat I tore up my prop but good and replaced it every year, with the jet I just go.

When I bought my first boat I was ignorant, but it served me well. If I had to do it all again, I would go to a dealer w/ a bunch of used boats and take them out to see how comfortable they really are. If they won't let you take it out, walk away.