Need some help - the best color and pound test of line to get for general catfishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by master_baiter, Mar 3, 2006.

1. master_baiter

master_baiter New Member

State:
    Illinios
    what would be the best color and tess of line to get for general catfishing. also does worm in stink bait work the best or is there something else i should be trying?

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    boy oh boy, that is a loaded question.

Lets start with some questions back at ya so we can help you the best.

What type of Rod/Reel are you using?

What size cats are you looking for?

What type of cats are you going after?

3. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I think the least of your worries will be you line color. I wouldn't recommend night crawlers unless you plan on catching every dink on the lake(river). Try some cut baits and yes stink baits can be effective. With some more information we can probably help out a little better.

4. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    For channels you should use 8-20 pound test
    For flats use 25+ pound test
    For blues, I would say 20+ test

Stinkbait does work but just for channels.
    For flatheads and blues shad,suckers, and panfish will work as cutbait or live.
    For channels the best baits in my opion are Chicken livers and cutbait.

5. Jayhawkguy

Jayhawkguy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Alot of that is a matter of opioion. But I agree with the others on line. There are so many great baits it a real trial and error at the lake you fish. A lot of guys have great luck on chicken livers, which you can get at grocery store for 1 or 2. I am commited on using creek chubs, leeches, shad sides and live bluegill, depending on where or what lake I fish.

6. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    For the line classes, I would go with what Ravensmavsfan said. As for baits:

Channels: just about anything will get these guys. Stinkbaits work, chicken livers (my personal favorite), cutbait (second favorite), I have heard marshmallows, gummy worms, all sorts of crazy stuff works too, although I havent tried most of it.

Flatheads: Flatheads are hunters. They are like great white sharks of fresh water. They like live bait, but they have been known to bite on cutbait as well.

Blues: I have never caught a bluecat in my life, but I have heard from big blue cat fishermen that cutbait is almost always a good choice. Skipjack and shad are what I hear most of the time.

:0a26:

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use 20 lb test, I dont think cats care what color the line is, as long as bait is on the hook.

8. NCvacationer

NCvacationer New Member

State:
    Lexington, KY
    Use the bright yellow line so it is easy to see. If you think the catfish care then use a clear mono or florocarbon leader. I assume general fishing = small fish so sure worms, dip baits, chicken livers, cut bait, hot dogs, dog food, blood bait... But then get an ugly stick tiger rod, an abu 7000 reel and some 100 lb. power pro and put a whole bluegill on there and really have some fun.

9. RiverOtter

RiverOtter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would use 20-30 pound test. As for brand probably Trilene Big Cat. If i were u i would not use SpiderWire. I do not suggest it at all.

:0a26:

10. jetdocx

jetdocx New Member

State:
    Corinth Tx
    I use 25pound ande line it work great for me.

11. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    my line is choice is 25# but as far as a brand i'm still looking for the perfect one.