need some help please

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by crazyKat, Dec 21, 2009.

1. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have a 17 ft deep v starcraft. the problem is in the back of the boat is has a flap that snaps and inside of it is where the battery and 2 6 gallon gas tanks are located. how hard would it be to put a permanent gas tank that i can fill from the outside of the boiat like normal without having to get back there and change the tanks. i want to put a livewell across the back and wnt be able to get to the tanks to switch them. anyone have any idea what this process would cost

2. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    submit some pics and someone will help!

3. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    a few little pics would go a long way.... id say that you can come up with a little solution once some more info is passed along...

4. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    JODY ,with doing as you say ,have you thought about the amount of weight you will be placing on the stern of your boat . Just a thought i had ,I would do some testing before building an installing the live well in the stern ,just to see how it will affect your boats handling .

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  5. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I suppose any 13 gallon tank from a junk car would fit your space and not be too difficult to install, but like mentioned earlier I'd do some research of the weight involved with putting a large livewell in the stern of the boat.
    If it's anything like mine, I already sit way too low back there.

6. Smokin

Smokin New Member

State:
    Ca
    Most online boat suppliers and local will have the items you need. 12 gallon perm install tank will run around 135 to 175 bucks then the fill and vent kit another 40 on average. But as stated before I would take and look into how this live well can and will effect your boat I have a portable livewell when its empty its in back as I catch fish and start to use it I put it in the middle length wise and my boat still planes out preper and handels fine when it was in back it took forever to plane out and like to ride bow high when it was full.

7. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i wouldnt think the weight would be a problem. my boat sets high out of the water and i 90% of the time fish alone. the weight would just be in the tank because i already have 2 six gallons so u be taking out that weight and adding a little more. im also putting in a big livewell across the back. weight shouldnt be a issue but i will check on it. i will try to get some pics posted and some measurements.

8. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    DSCF1408.jpg

DSCF1410.jpg a couple of pics i already had i will take some more

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Check under Temco 12 gal. I added one to my boat and when you decide to change it holler and I'll send you the thing that the cap screws into and the gas cap and all you will need is the hose. I also have an extra vent. Shoot I have the whole system if you lived close enough but can't ship the tank once its been used.
    What you have there will work good with a perminant tank. Just figure out a way to strap it down

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  10. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    do u think 12 gallon all i can fit? i would love to have a little more but can deal with 12 thats what i been using all yr

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Like the others, I would think your still going to have the weight of about two gas tanks in the stern. Add to that the weight of a live well. Think water runs about 7 pounds per gallon, and you put in about a 15 gallon tank (which is kinda small). Your talking about adding another 105 pounds of weight plus the weight of the material to construct the live well. Read your data plate and see what the boat is allowed to carry with its max load. For every pound of water, basically something else has to be either moved or eliminated. I'd think long and hard and try to figure out if the luxury of a live well is worth the extra weight and stress on the boat.

12. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i will have to check the label on the boat. but what im thinkin most say 4 people or 700 pounds or so and i weigh 160 if its 700 pounds then i have 540 pounds to work with. even with another person in the boat the livewell and gas tank shouldnt be more than the boat can handle. also i had a person tell me who works for the coast guard that they put that weight limit in there but the boats can handle more than what the label says. trust me i dnt want to find out if he id right but i see boat my size with big built in fuel tanks anf 100 gallon livewells so i hope mine can handle it. my question is if i have 2 6 gallon tanks and i switch to 1 12 gallon or 1 15 gallon why would it be more weight? i know the 15 gallon be a little more but if i trade 1 12 for 2 sixes what would be the extra weight? if the material was the same?

13. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i measured the spot and it was 11x13x38 if my calculation are correct that should convert into about 23 gallons. i got room to play so im thinking going with 20 gallon. or 18 gallon

14. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Check out westmarine.com to see a good selection of nice, permanent-mount fuel tanks. These run a bit of money but at least you can get a look at the different dimensions they come in. I'd do something like this and do it right the first time.

15. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    View attachment livewell.pdf was thinkin about doing this and making it look custom. this would give me storage and i could use the 2 tanks i have and add another 6 gallon if i wanted and save a bunch of money. all i would need is plywood and some 2x4 to brace the platform a little carpet to match the interior and thats it. what u guys think

16. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
  17. hdfatboy29

hdfatboy29 New Member

State:
    indiana
    try atl they make fuel takes for race cars in all shapes and sizes that are permante mount and they arent priced that bad i put one in my flat bottom bass tracker. i too hated switchin tanks and now i have 22 gal to use up . they even sold me a defected one i use for an additional live well that one cost me 20 bucks plus shipping and i just cut the top off where i wanted it . might worth a look for you

18. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i used to have a old 18 ft starcraft i got from my dad. he added a 18 gal temco gas tank right where you are talking about. ran fuel line up and regular fuel cap to fill at. had a portable bait tank i could move around, but it road okay back there. just had to load the boat differently with little more weight up front to balance it out.
    gary

19. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would go for the gas tank renovation, but if I fished alone most of the time, I would put the bait tank were the passenger seat is and save the room in back for fighting fish!:hammer: