Need SOme Help On Trotlining on Dikes

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BigCatter54, Jan 25, 2008.

1. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have alwasy wanted to trotline on dikes out in the river, but everytime I have set them off the dikes, I havent had any success, I know this is where alot of cats hold up , just wonderd if anybody else out there trotlines off of dikes, and when you do, were do you have the most success setting them, Thanks for your help!

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Can't help you with trotlining tips. Just grab you a rod and reel and go get 'em that way.

Dikes are good areas, but not all dikes are the same. Hint, Hint!:wink:

3. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Only rpobelm i got is that when i go trotlining it is with my cousin or my buddy in their boats, so until next spring, I am SOL

4. bc179whitetail

bc179whitetail New Member

State:
    St.Louis Missouri
    Chad

If you want sometime this summer we can go out if you want. I use to live in Iowa and commercial fished for several years. I still like to go set trot lines. Give me a shout in the spring and if I don't have a bass tournament we will go sometime.
    Jeff

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Biggest problem we have with trotlining off dikes is that the netters usually have one or more nets already set out there. There's usually a deep scour hole just off the end and slightly downstream of the dike. When I can get to it, I like to set a line from the downstream side of the end of the dike out at about a 30 degree angle downstream. I've heard of guys having luck setting lines along the dike, both on the upstream and downstream side, but I never had much luck with that. The one exception was where there was a 10' deep channel that ran right along the downstream side of the dike from the end of the dike all the way back to the shore; on the other side of the channel was a big sandbar. No big cats, but always dependable for a few 5#-6# blues.

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We usually take some baling wire, and wrap it around a big rock near the end of a dike, and run the line downstream and either tie it in the same fashion to the next dike if it's not too far, or run it at an angle back to the bank, and tie it to a limb, stump, or rock. Usually use 2 or 3 weights about 3# each to hold it down. Find the dikes where it is open at both ends, and there is a good current flowing out from it, and there is a good scour hole. Most of the fish come off of the hooks closest to the dike, or in the swiftest part of the current. This has been my experience anyway. Good luck!

7. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I'm with skipeye grab a rod and try that. I guarantee you it is a lot more fun to "dredge" a big one up from 50 deep water . As for the lines I used to like to set them in flooded timber so you can at least get the rush from seeing the bush shaking before you get to it.

8. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I always set mine about 15 to 20 feet back from the tip of the dike along the edge of the hole as it starts shallowing up on the inside. The circling current will keep your drops pointing towards the hole. I don't use a long line, 20 hooks max. Like Matt said above you seem to get more fish closer to the rocks. Sometimes though you'll get a nice flathead in the tailout of the hole.