Need some help on reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by camochris2, Aug 14, 2007.

1. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    im going to buy some new reels and it is eatier peen gt 310 or 320 or abu 7000c3i but i dont know wich one to go with any info would be gerat and wich one is the best reel

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    gonna save you alot of heartache and headaches!!! buy the 7000. or any of the abu garcia 6000, 6500 7000 9000 or 10000 series reels, i have been using nothing but them for 15 yrs. very durable, castability is outstanding, and they last a life time if you take care of them...buy the 7000, then send me a pm and let me know what you think after using it a few times...goodluck, rollo.:big_smile:

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Unfortunately, the best reel is simply a personal interpretation. Go by what you think of the reel, its balance, how smooth is it, its reputation, take the pole your gonna mount it on the store with you to see how the pole and reel work together. If I was to tell you without a doubt the abu 7000 was the best reel going and you purchased one, then decided you didn't like it... I would get the hit for it. No one can tell you which is the best... they can give you their opinions as to why one is better than the other...but that is just it... their opinion. Go by yours - you'll be happier.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    What kind of "heartache and headaches" are you saving him from? I have never used a Abu-Garcia reel and I am trying to learn all that I can about Abu-Garcia reels is why I ask.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Own em both in the L/H retrieve models. Can't say a bad word about either. The Ammbassaduer is lighter. Love em both.

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I have used Penns all my life and have never owned a Abu until I recently bought a 7000IC3. I really like my Penns and they are built like a tank and have only had to work on a couple minor parts in all that time. I have used them for spoonbills as well as catfishing and they take a beating.
    I also really like the IC3 and it is super smooth. Will it hold up as well as the penns, time will tell. I think you will be happy with either one.

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've owned both over the years. If I was only going to get one reel, it would be the 7000. Either reel is dependable and will last a lifetime with proper maintinance. The abu garcia reels are just eaier to cast and control. I'm not sure if being lighter makes a difference, I don't stand there and hold mine. It's usually leaned up on a rod holder after I get it set.

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I love my Abu 6600's. I have 4 of them and I've used and abused them for 3 years now. I have a 7000 and I dunno if I like it yet or not. I use it most when I'm fishing heavy current and I want more line in case I get one one that wants to go far away...:big_smile: The fish in my avatar was caught on a 6000 that I bought on ebay, so I think the 6000 series will stand up to probably anything I'm likely to hook into. That all being said, I saw a Penn GTO at Cabela's Sunday that I may have to invest in. Holds the same amount of line as a 7000 and has the same gear ratio, but it's about $60 less. And best of all, it's really SHINY AND COOL LOOKING. I may be 35, but like my sons, shiny and cool looking is definitely important!:wink:

9. lj catman

lj catman New Member

State:
    la junta,colorado
    I just got my abu garica 7000c3i about a week ago and love it smooth to reel it in havn't got some thing big yet. but handled the fish with no problems. It's on a tiger rod med 7' baitcaster and can throw a 4 oz sinker a long ways. but what ever you get will be up to you. james river outdoors sells them for 109.99 free shipping cheaper they cabaelas & bas pro shops or cat connection

10. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    May I suggest a Penn 525 MAG? It is about the same size as an Abu 7000 (or a little bigger) but it had magnetic brakes to assist with casting and a strong drag capable of 15lbs of max drag. It doesn't have a levelwind and I don't use one unless I am throwing lures all day.

11. catfeveriowa

catfeveriowa New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs Iowa
    Hey Chris I have the 310 gti, but thinking about moving up to the 320 or 7000 myself. Been talking to a guy thats been fishing MO river 20 years now and he uses the 320 gti. He's got the biggest fish at Woods bait and tackle 80+ blue. I like what AwShucks said about bringging pole to store. Might want to go to Anglers Supply on 72nd L and compare.

12. MoCatfisher

MoCatfisher New Member

Chuckling...ah some kids never grow up...:smile2:

13. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    well guy thanks for all the help on reels i went bought a 7000ic3 and i like it i think i did the right thing bye getting the 7000ic3

14. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i have used both, but i sold all my 6500s , & went with penn 220 level winds, they have worked without any trouble for me. i have had all six for two yrs. now, just tear them down couple times a yr. & clean & oil. which one you choose will do the job........good luck

15. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I was in your shoes I couple weeks ago and I did the same thing. I am very happy with the 7000ic3. One word of advice to you though. Never accidentally cast while the reel is in clicker mode. This can cause the clicker to pop out of position. I though I broke mine like that but I fiddled with it untill it went back in.

16. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Yea! Ain;t we lucky!The ones that claim to grow up call themselves w o m e n.We all love them but they spend their lives making us miserable when we want to play any way but theirs.We have no understanding at all of womens "adult" games called "shopping,dating,weddings,showers,pregnancy,birth,goo-gooing with a baby(I have never understood how any child learned to talk) and worst of all the mind games".The mind game where they invent a wrong that you have done them so that they can punish you without guilt for the rest of your life.You know!The thing that they call "mental abuse" when you question it.I am very thankful that I do not know how to grow up."You know he's a child,he's man"and "at least gay men know how to grow up",I once heard women say these things and the group of women all agreed.That leaves me out!I just don;t have the raw material to be a "Adult"in a womans eyes.Yes,I am happy being a child.I just do not have enough female hormones to be a adult.I just accept it like I do God,the Sun and my attraction to all fishing gear.I accept the fact that all non woman things are just toys for us children.I love you Brothers and Sisters,even if I am a child.peewee

17. finnor

finnor New Member

State:
    louisiana
    i use a fin-nor 85 ,one tuff drag,but it is a big heavy reel,37.9 oz.,40.2 " line take up per turn,all stainless guts and bearings.325 yrds. 30 mono,

18. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i have 4 6600cl and 3 7000b abu garcias they have worked well for me

19. dex

dex New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You should go to a reputable place that sells each of the reels you are looking at and give each one a try. To just say one is superior to another is not true. Penn and Abu are very good reels each last a lifetime. Just get what fits your needs.

20. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i currently use a abu 6500 and 7000. love both of the reels. i have had minor problems with my 6500 but it still works great just got the 7000 this season. it is great casts smooth, strong, and its a good looking reel. but i have heard good things about peen reels so i think it is going to be a personal preference for you on which one you like better