Need some help on learning how to use electronics to locate fish.

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by Aftercats, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    Have had a fish finder for years but still have not be able to figure out how to really use it. Any suggestions please!:confused:

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    If you can find a place where you can see the bottom.Mid day on a sunny day is best.You can operate,try out and learn the most.You can look at your units screen and then look down,and see what it means.You can relate the two,like no other way.luck,peewee-williams

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Daryl,
    check your PM's.
    They key is practice and if you can do it the way PeeWee suggested, so much the better. Read the manual then read it again and then read it again. Take it with you when you go out. It will take a while but the effort will be worth it...W

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    First off you don't say what kind of finder you have.Hard to give you advice on that basis.Secondly it is hard to steer a boat,watch a finder and look over the side at the bottom.That will hardly tell you much if the water isn't clear and even then not much past 10 ft at which depth your cone of coverage is going to be very small.I would advise you to go to the Lowrance website and familiarize yourself with all the terminology until you understand what your owners manual is telling you.Then use some of their equipment right there on the website so you can see what "Zoom range" for instance actually is and more importantly what it does.The Lowrance units with the MMC card capability can record while you are using it on the water then you can come home and look at everything over and over while using all the finders features.That alone is worth the price of a Lowrance.Get a good topo map like Fishing Hotspots for a lake near you then go out to a piece of structure identified on the map and go over it time and again with the finder.That will give you an"electronic image " of what the map shows.Finally you can't fish and learn at the same time.Take a day to go out and hunt structure and using the finder.That one day will teach you more than trying to fish and learn.Good luck.:)

5. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Daryl,
    If you live in west tnn near clarksaville get in touch with "canepole tom".He is good at instructing you with this kind of instrument.

The other men had some good suggestions also:)

6. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    I will look up that information and give your ideas a try. Anyone know where I can find clear water around the clarksville area?

7. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Aftercats.I left the U.S.Navy as MM2SS.To earn my Dolphins I had to Qualify to stand sonar watchs on submarines.I have been trying to learn ever since.I still feel like you do.A good old time flasher,will tell you nearly everything that a chart or screen will,IF you know how to use it.Charts and screens are what most people are familure with and that makes it easier for most to relate to.They also have a internal computer to interpret that signal,and then show it on the screen.Water conditions change from depth to depth,place to place,hour to hour,day to day and year to year.This ALL will affect your unit to some degree.I found it was a big help to me to try out every one in clear water,so that I could relate it to the screen.I could not do this in muddy or deep water.I have allways read and followed the instructions.I allways copy my instructions,and carry the copy with me in a plastic bag.This way,I don;t lose or damage anything but my copy.I do believe in taking days to just learn.A lot of my winter boating was this.Try to make it fun,not work.Remember.The best that there ever was,never new it all.peewee-williams

8. trytofish

trytofish New Member

State:
    kansas
    the lowrance website is great tool to learn the proper terminology and basics of any brand fishfinder. i use it still and i like the hummingbird. i too was a sub sailor and had to qualify like peewee, i barely passed it then and still confuse myself sometimes now

9. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    They would not let me be a bubble head seems I was about half a bubble off. LMAO

10. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

BassPro Shops offer free classes in their stores on using and setting up your SONAR. Looks like there are 3 BPS stores in TN, so maybe one is close enough for you to make the trip.

To find when the classes are, go to the BPS Website then select "Store Location Events", and then your closest store. For example, Nashville has a class called "Depth Finders 101" scheduled for 15 APR.

Good luck.

11. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Good info guys,Tulcat I did'nt know BPS had a class on sonars think I'll check that out myself. Thanks

12. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Yup.Sounds like you were about half a bubble too sane.You have to be a minimum of a full bubble off.peewee-williams

13. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    I will definitly look up the classes and thank you very much for the information and hope the see you on the water pulling out a big one!;)