Need some help on bait I.D.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mwmuck, Jan 25, 2009.

1. mwmuck

mwmuck New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've read here countless times about how you Mississippi and Ohio river basin boys talk about using Skipjack for bait. Being from coastal
    Texas the only Skipjack I'm aware of is a saltwater fish that resembles a baby Tarpon. It's also called a Ladyfish.

Could someone post up a picture of what y'all refer to as a Skipjack or river herring? We may have 'em here but we seem to be separated by a common language. We have a couple kinds of Shad, gizzard and threadfin, and assorted Bream but nothing I've ever heard referred to as a Skipjack.

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    cool mark thks

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    mark ive cought both and even tho we called the ladyfish skipjacks they are 2 differant fish.i fished texas waters both fresh and salt for 40 years off and on and ive never seen a skipjack there.

4. mwmuck

mwmuck New Member

State:
    Texas
    Nope. None of those swimming around in Texas from what I can tell. I sure do appreciate the info Mr Edwards. I can see how those would be an exceptional big cat bait. The one in the picture looks as big as a Horse Mullet.

5. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    That one looked big enough eat. We just use shad here that are pretty small.

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    They get pretty big. I have caught them out of The Ohio up to about 14" and have heard they get to 3 or 4#. They are very oily which is what makes them such a great bait fish..

7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I dont believe i have seen them here in the kaskaskia below carlyle . Do we have them here ? I hear they get them at alton and in the ohio at southern tip of illinois . You would think we have them in the kaskaskia but i havent seen any .

8. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    man them things sure are fun to catch.. exspecially when you catch more then one at a time.... And when you find them there seems to be no end