need some help here

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by catfish_hunter79, May 26, 2008.

1. catfish_hunter79

catfish_hunter79 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i am comming to S.C to randolphs landing in july. what i need to know is how good is the fishing in santee in july and do they bit at night and do i need a boat? never been there this will be the familys first time on vac. so any local help would be nice thanks.

2. MossyBack

MossyBack New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Drifting is probably your best bet in July. Day time temps are in the 90's so night fishing is not a bad idea. Randolphs does have a lighted pier and the fishing can be good off of it at night.

3. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Night time fishing is normally better in July as Jason said it gets pretty hot during the day time. I not to sure about bank fishing as I fish from a boat 99% of the time. White perch are about the best bait I have found that time of year.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Night fishing is definitely more comfortable in July. Catch some smaller bream or white perch from the bank, using earthworms, then use them for bait from the bank, since you probably won't be fishing from a boat. (Although randolph's does rent them, I think) The bank slopes off gradually into the south side, and the cove on the west side also offers some occasional flatheads. I've anchored and caught them within a long cast of the bait shop. Use earthworms for channels around the shoreline, or cut bait will bring in the Blues. Some nice fish can be caught from the shallows at night, and don't overlook the dike area along the rocks. Good luck and have a good vacation. :big_smile:

5. catfish_hunter79

State:
    ohio
    thanks alot guys i will try what ya said. we liketo night fish anyways will shad work there cause i have tons of frozzen shad

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Frozen shad doesn't work too well for me, but you can purchase shad at the tackle shops for not too much. If you can catch some bream or perch, that's all you really need for live or cut bait.

7. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    I fish Santee alot as does alot of these fine people who post here. PM me close to then when you are going. I think my next Santee trip will be then as June is looking to be a crazy month for me. I will try to come when you are there and try to show you around. I keep my 25ft pontoon 1 mile from Randolfs on my buddy's land. No it's not lake front but atleast the trailering is closeby. Night time as they are saying is the best time then. Too hot for us locals and the fish tend to better bite at night. Also frozen bait should be avoided at all cost unless you want to cut it up very small and use as chum with other fermenting ingredients.
    Let me know,
    Jonathan
    bearfrog1@yahoo.com

8. catfish_hunter79

State:
    ohio
    my wife and kids think thats so cool that you want to show us around on the boat. now i don't want to sound dumb or anything but what is bream and how do you get them. i will let you know like a 2 or 3 days before we leave to come down there. as for the shad i think i am going to put some in a blender and make chum out of them. the boys want to fish in the ocean will shad work there i think they just want to fish off the pier or something they just want to say they fished they.