need some help here

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by catfishken, Sep 3, 2009.

1. catfishken

catfishken Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    ok so i just found a johnson 9.9 motor and a jon boat they have been sitting for bout oh i'd say 8-10 years the man said right b4 it sat he had everything done to it at a local marina new water pump and such right b4 it sat as he was gunna use it then got sick so it never has been used since. now my ? is what do i need to do to it to get it running after all them years i do not have it yet am getting it sat.just need to know what to llok at or change b4 i put it in the water thanks for any help. Ken

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  2. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i would say have the lower unit oil changed,change the spark plugs,other than that should be fine.i would start it and let it run before taking it out just to make sure water pump is working and that its running good in general.oh yeah,i would grease it up a little just to be on safe side,check the grease on the trailer also,hope this helps you good luck

3. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I agree with David, I would however make sure you don't have any critters in the carb. and it it's got old gas in it might want to put some sea foam in the new gas to sort of clean out the carb. Check to plug and make soure it's gapped and clean and make sure the water pump is pumping water and change the lower unit oil. Good luck brother and good fishing, you boat will become your new friend, enjoy it! And a big welcome to the BOC, know you been here a while but glad you are here and posting!

4. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    thanks for mentioning the carbs i meant to but forgot lol

5. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    Also,
    If a fuel tank comes with you need to make sure inside of tank is clean and fuel line and prime bulb are in good working order.
    Good Luck,
    Larry

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Change all the rubber lines from the tank forward. Take the drain screw in the bottom of the carb and drain what fuel that may be there out. If it was mine I would remove carb and clean real good, Change the water pump. Do not just look at it change it. It has become fixed in its shape and most likely dry rotted and if you fire it up you will be pulling the water jacket and head off to get all of it out. Chang the lower unit oil.
    Take the spark plugs out and squirt some TCW three oil in the holes rotate the pistons by hand. Leave the plugs out and squirt some mix in the mouth of the carb while rotating the engine so you can oil up the internal parts.

If you want that engine to give you trouble free time then do all this before starting. That motor has sat a long time and it is very important to do this to it. or it will be one headache after another.

7. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    After just getting a motor of mine fired up for the first time in 6 years I realised how important it is to change the fuel lines.
    I had cleaned the carb and borrowed a fuel tank that was good.
    She fired right up and ran good for a little until the carb got junked up.
    Took the carb off again and cleaned it.:angry:
    unkooked the fuel line going into the pump and gave the ball a couple squeezes into a container and that's where I saw about 100 small specks of old fuel line.
    Fuel line is cheap. Just beacause it looks good doesn't mean it is.
    Lesson learned:smile2:

8. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a similar situation, and have already replaced the fuel line from the tank to the motor, but nothing inside the cover. Do those need to be changed as well? Sounds like I should....:confused2:

9. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    You'll get good at cleaning the carb if you don't:wink:
    It did set me back $1.74 for 3 ft.of line

10. catfishken

catfishken Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    well she's runnin like a dream checked water pump its perfect all she needed was some fresh plugs ,premium gas ,seafoam and to clean the carb and adjust the float oh and changed the lower unit oil now she purrs like a dodge lol

11. catfishken

catfishken Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    well she's runnin like a dream checked water pump its perfect all she needed was some fresh plugs ,premium gas ,seafoam and to clean the carb and adjust the float oh and changed the lower unit oil now she purrs like a dodge lol oh and mixed the gas heavy 40:1 with oil for to get it all lubed up after all dem years

12. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    :wink:i would agree with everything that bubbacat said,except i would go one step farther and change the fuel pump diaphram.it is surely going to be dry rotted.very inexspensive.