Need some help from you folks that fish the Ohio River!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Sunburn, May 12, 2008.

1. Sunburn

Sunburn New Member

State:
    Williamsto
    I understand that small jigs in white and or yellow work well for catching skipjacks. I've never used skipjacks for bait but wish to start. I too live along the Ohio River and would like to know what kind of stuff you find the bait hanging around? Bridges, wind dams, lock chambers, or what? Are they often caught by cast net like shad? I don't ever remember getting one in my cast net. Thanks for any help.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I catch Skippies using a Sabiki Rig or a couple white(small) curly tail jigs tied about a foot apart in the swift water right below the Greenup Dam.
    I've never seen them caught with a cast net but I guess anything is possible.
    Hope this helps some!:wink::big_smile:

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Sunburn, if u felt ok about it, IF u would post the City u live in it could help others help u.

Later Bro
    :roll_eyes:

4. Sunburn

Sunburn New Member

State:
    Williamsto
    Not a problem Baitkiller. It's Williamstown, West Virginia. Right over the River from Marietta, Ohio. Changed my profile also, hope it works.

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I do fish "Pike Island Dam" n on the Ohio Side just below along the wall when in there r Skips there. Best put on Ice asap. I use
    1/64 oz. jigs.

I sure hope this helps, Good Hunting

:wink:

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i do some fishing around st. marys.. i have heard of many getting skips around the willow island area.. i haven't targeted them. i usually use livebaits and bring mine with me. you may want to check that area out though...rollo

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    you can also catch them on small minows or creek chubs if they're in the calmer waters.

8. Sunburn

Sunburn New Member

State:
    Williamsto
    in West Virginia?? I thought that I remembered reading about you fishing at Hannibal Dam? Perhaps I have you mixed up with someoe else? I've been a member of this board for almost 2 years, just don't post much. Read a lot more. Past year and a half has been right tough on me health wise. Gettin old just sucks. Although it sure beats the other choice don't it? ha ha ha

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Your right Phil, Walter did use to live there. He got kicked out though. They said he was too good of a fisherman for those parts and he could only get a true test of his ability's in Kentucky. Or was it because he got new teeth? oh well, it something like that. lol:crazy::eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2:

10. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Yes, it was me. I lived just south of Moundsville,WV. Fished there below Hannibal dam several times a year. Occasionally you go north of New Martinsville about 12 miles to the mouth of Fish creek where it empties into the Ohio river. There, I have caught small skipjacks on sabiki rigs and minnows.

11. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    when i go to marrietta i catch them on minnows and sometimes a Rat-l-trap will catch em.

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    catching skips in a cast net is not done too often. I would agree that the sabiki rig or a series of curly tail jigs are the way to go. I prefer white or green. They bite the best when the sun is shining.