Need some help from you boaters out there

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Tangler, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    I have an 88hp evinrude that I just bought. it hasnt ran since 07. I want to know what steps i should take to get it started and properly lubed. I have never owned one before so im depending on this information to get it going again. I also dont have a key for it. I need to get another one or another ignition. I bought the water muffs and am read to try to start it when i figure out how to lol. Thanks in advance!

Tang

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    This thread may get moved:

If it hasnt been ran since 07, it may without a doubt be in for a carb rebuild. What have you done up to this point? Just so we know where to begin.

3. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    i havent done anything with it at all. just took out the ignition to get it replaced or get another key.other than that its just sitting down in the garage.

4. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    Ryan, the first step I would take would be install new spark plugs than check the motor for fire. With a tester check all of your electrical components, cellinoid, regulator etc.. If you can get it to fire everything else is fairly easy. Good luck.

5. Martin Rhodes

Martin Rhodes New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro, Tn
    Since all of the older motors require a gas and oil mixture I would fog the cylinders and while the oil is penetrating the rings and such I would definately rebuild those carbs and replace the plugs and make sure no rats used any of the wire insulation for bedding.

6. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    ok. I can probably figure out the plugs and such. But i stress to you that i have no working knowledge of a boat motor. fog the cylinders? lol.

7. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    fogging oil , comes in a spray can like spray paint would usually any good auto parts store would have it or even quad(ATV) shops take the spark plugs out and spray some into each cylinder let it sit to losen up any rust or corrosion .if you can crank the engine over a few times with out starting it as kids we used to squirt some motor oil in the cylinders seemed to work ok but the fogging oil is better i dont think they had fogging oil when i was a kid

8. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    I would take it to a certified mechanic that way you can save alot of time, sure it will cost a few bucks but it will be well spent

9. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    All good points:

On the other hand, once you try and get the motor started, if it doesn't then you can start to check for spark and what not. Steal, Beg, or buy a compression checker and check compression on all cylinders. If you dont know how let me know. Its probably the most important way to diagnose the condition of a motor. Rebuild the carbs because I am sure they need it from sitting for a couple years. Drain, inspect, and add new lower unit lube to the lower unit. Make sure when you do drain the old to take a look at it, see if its milky in color which would be a red flag for water contamination. Might want to replace the impeller also. I am sure it will be fine, but its good to get some fresh lube in there anyway. All good places to start, you really need to buy a good manual for the motor, it will pay for itself real quick.

Like Paul said though, if you are not very good with motors in general it may be better to take it some where and have them run through it, ask if you can be present. I am no expert on outboards, but have learned an awful lot in the recent years just from manuals, and doing things myself. The only way to learn is to go for it, and don't be afraid to ask for help. Many people on this site, especially bubbakat have really helped me understand these motors. :wink:

10. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    No disrespect intended. It might be a good idea to take it to a shop and let them go over it for ya, to make sure everything is ok and get it fired up. I believe you mentioned your knowledge might be limited on this. Sometimes spending $50 is better then a $1000 for a burnt piston, and peace of mind.

11. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Replacing the impeller is a Necessity! I would'nt even crank it till it had a new one. The impellers are made of thin rubber. If it's sat for some time, When you crank it it will break apart and flush rubber pieces throughout the cooling system. Fog it with fogging oil or at least wd-40. (spray it in the cylinders trying to coat the walls all around through the spark plug holes.) Then turn it over by hand with the plugs removed to push out any excess oil. Do your compression test now, then replace the plugs. As already said, get rebuild kits for the carbs. Clean them out and rebuild them. Install the muffs,and give her hell. If it has good compression and fire, it'll start.......If you don't feel confident about any of the above listed, I'd recruit some help. Either a boat shop, or maybe a buddy that has knowledge of engines.

12. Martin Rhodes

Martin Rhodes New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro, Tn
    Not to add to any more confusion or fears you might have at this point if its something your unsure of tackling just spend the money and have the whole thing rebuilt.

Even if you can get the cylinders fog your still not sure how much rust you may or may not have in the cylinders and/or pistons and not to mention roller bearings can rust to.

Think of this.....over that many years how many times when it sat up did it go from hot to cold in the environment it was stored in?

When you can get close to that answer leave a new piece of uncoated unprotected metal outside over night. Think you may find the risks and benefits aren’t worth taking the chances. Nothing is cheap.

Good Luck with your decision.

13. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    Thanks for all the responses. I got what I wanted and that was confirmation that I should take it in. I have the boat going into the shop in the morning.

14. jrack1

jrack1 New Member

State:
    mo.
    oil cylinders with wd40, check compression , clean carb , new gas filter , new plugs , new water pump , clean and inspect everything , new oil , start on gas mix and spray a bit of wd40

15. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    all great advice, good luck with the motor brother